38- The Life Of Barty Crouch

"Well, times like that bring out the best in some. But the worst in others." Sirius continued, "Crouch's principles might've been good at the beginning, but he rose quickly and began enforcing very harsh measures against Voldemort's supporters. The Aurors were given new powers- powers to loll rather than capture. I wasn't the only one who was handed straight to the Dementors. Crouch fought violence with violence. He had his supporters, many people thought he was going about things the right way. Loads of people wanted him as minister. When Voldemort disappeared it looked like he was a sure in for the job, but then Crouch's son was caught with a group of death eaters. Apparently they were trying to return Voldemort to power."

"His son was caught?" Hermione asked.

Sirius nodded grimly, "nasty little shock for old Barty. I was in Azkaban myself when he was bought in."

"Did Crouch try and get him off?" Venus asked.

"Anything that threatened to tarnish his reputation had to go," Sirius shook his head, "he gave the boy a trial, but that was only an opportunity to show how much he hated the boy... then he was sent straight to Azkaban."

"So he's still there?" Said Harry.

"No." Sirius said bitterly, "most go mad there. They lose the will to live. You could always tell when a death was coming. The Dementors could sense it. They got excited. Crouch never came for his son's body."

"Done!" Venus yelled. She had trimmed Sirius's hair to his shoulders and evened it out.

"Thankyou." Sirius grinned.

"Sorry keep telling the story!" Venus out her scissors away.

Sirius laughed, but quickly turned serious again, "so old Crouch lost it all, just when he thought he had it made. Once the boy died people started feeling a bit sorry for him, started asking how a nice young lad from a good family had gone so badly astray. The conclusion was that his father didn't care about him. So Cornelius Fudge got the top job and Crouch was shunned sideways into the Department of International Magical Co-operation."

There was a pause as they all seemed to think about what had been said.

"You said your brother is Crouch's personal assistant?" Sirius asked Venus and Ron, "any chance you could ask him if he's seen Crouch latley?"

"We can try," Venus said doubtfully, "Ron had better do it. I'm not exactly Percy's favourite sibling."

"Better not make it sound like I think Crouch is up to anything dodgy though." Ron nodded, "Percy loves Crouch."

"And you might try to find out about Bertha Jorkins while you're at it," Sirius gestured at a copy of the prophet on the floor, "see if they have any leads on her."

"They haven't," said Harry, "Bagman told me."

"He's quoted in the article." Sirius picked up the paper, "Blustering on about how her memory isn't what it used to be. Well maybe she's changed since I knew her, but Bertha wasn't forgetful at all- she was a bit dim. But had an excellent memory for gossip. Never knew when to keep her mouth shut. I could see her being a liability at the ministry, maybe that's why Bagman didn't bother looking for her for so long."

Sirius heaved a sigh, "what's the time?"

"It's half past three." Hermione checked her watch.

"You lot get back to school." Sirius clambered to his feet. "Now listen." He looked particularly hard at Harry. "I don't want you lit sneaking out of school to see me. Just send notes, I still want to hear about everything, but you're not to leave Hogwarts without permission, that would be the ideal time for someone to attack you. Anything that you don't want to write down, pass it to Venus. She'll tell me on the full moon."

"No one has tried to attack me so far except a dragon and a couple of Grindylows." Harry huffed.

"I don't care," said Sirius, "I'll breathe freely when this Tournament is over. Don't forget when you're talking about me among yourselves call me Snuffles."

"I'll bring more food next time I see you." Venus hugged her father.

"I'll be there." Sirius promised. "I'll walk to the edge of the village with you, see if I can scrounge another paper."

Just before they left the cave Sirius transformed. Harry, Ron and Hermione walked just ahead of Venus and Sirius. Venus was going slightly slower than them and Sirius was hanging back waiting for her.

When they reached the stile Sirius allowed Harry, Ron and Hermione to pat him. Venus gave him a hug around the neck and then he bounded off around the edge of the village.

Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx