Chapter 77

Serena's POV:

The elderly lady concluded, "...it was nice to meet you. Hopefully, we will see one another again."

Saphira politely nodded, "It was nice to meet you as well. Travel safe."

The lady glanced at me in perplexity as she walked past us with her two companions. She had been most curious about the Dranek, and Saphira had been with us, so this candidate had hung around longer than most had. Darien commented, "That was the last one, let's head to the library."

All of the candidates today seemed open enough, although Darien had growled at one man for some reason, probably in response to something his reading ability picked up. Lucas shrugged, "Have fun, books don't really interest me so I am going to head elsewhere."

He headed off in a different direction while I followed Darien to the library. We had passed by it several times, but had never gone inside. We reached the library and Darien opened the door. I followed him inside and gazed around in curiosity.

It was smaller than the one in my old town and that surprised me somewhat. I walked along the shelves of books with Darien, looking for anything that might catch our interest. It looked like it was mostly dry histories, diplomacy books, and tedious things like how to write a proper binding agreement.

Darien muttered, "This was not quite what I had expected. No wonder people don't come here for fun."

Saphira glanced at the books, curious, but she mostly ignored them. The other five Dranek no longer followed us inside, which was a bit of a relief since the Draneks' large size made the hallways seem fairly crowded.

I looked at a stack of maps, "Is there a map of this planet? I have no idea what this planet looks like."

Darien inspected a few of the maps before pulling out one large paper out of the pile. He took them over to a table and set it down, "Here it is."

I was surprised to see that it was one large oval landmass with very few tiny islands along the coast.

Darien pointed to several spots on the map, "We are here and our home in Compass Pass is here. This used to be the battle line."

I hadn't realized just how many miles I had made since my first trip through the waygate. Saphira was also looking at the map with interest. She pointed to a different spot, "And this is where the Dranek first found you."

Darien examined the map once more, "And the scrat were here."

There was a lot of distance between those two points... An awful lot of distance... Both of them glanced at me, as if hoping I would enlighten them. Now that there were no other bystanders, I didn't mind talking about Schlach and the other black creatures.

"You called them svipers?"

"Yes."

At least now I had a name for their race, although I would have to politely inquire what they called themselves the next time I saw them.

"Shortly after I got out of the scrat tunnel, I tried to follow the bond, but ended up running into something that looked like a t-rex. Schlach chased it off when I was singing for help. He seemed to know about my magic, and he said he would take me to a war camp if I tried to heal their Princess. He took me to their home, although I have no idea where it is or even in which direction."

Darien inquired, "How did you cover so much ground? Even if he was guiding you and keeping predators at bay, that is a huge distance."

"He let me sit on his back. Anyways, my song did work, and I also managed to heal the Queen as well-"

Darien held up a finger to his lips to mime for silence as he looked towards the doorway. I looked over just as Alex and Fiona walked in. Alex came over and sat in a nearby chair as Fiona sat beside him, which I thought was odd considering they were soulmates.

"What has you so divided?" Darien was clearly speaking about something else, and not the fact that Alex and Fiona each had their own chairs.

Alex made a face, "The two Council members approached me and we had a long chat. They want me to join the Council. They say it is because my mind is so open, but I think it may be more because I am on good terms with at least one Dranek and they hope that it may make any future negotiation or trades easier."

Darien snorted lightly, "And also to gain my favor so I have one less reason to beat the Council into a pulp again."

Alex inclined his head in agreement, before facing Saphira, "The Council asked me to relay a message. They are hoping the Dranek elders will be willing to send an ambassador or liaison to act as a representative for your people. This person will be able to sit in on Council meetings and give suggestions, although they wouldn't be a true Council member."

Saphira looked surprised, "I can send a message to the elders, and they will likely appoint one." Saphira hesitated and reluctantly suggested, "This isn't our planet and, as much as they make me nervous, I would suggest approaching the svipers as well, since they call this planet home."

That made Alex wince, "I can see your point, although they make me uneasy as well. I will take that to the Council and see what they say."

Saphira inquired, "If you don't mind me asking, do you plan to accept the position they offered?"

"I have to think about it. The reasons make sense, I am unusually suited for the role due to my rather extensive travels and my soulbond with Fiona."

Darien watched him and was likely also reading him, "But something is holding you back..."

Alex sighed heavily, "I fail to see any point in trying my best to help this planet rebuild when the average Tarulk won't really listen to the Council unless they are part of the military. Until the day that the peace tree recovers and the old myth comes true, the Council has to work quite hard to get even small tasks done."

Saphira focused intently on Alex, "Myth? Peace tree? I have not heard of these before."

"The tree that overshadows this entire place is called the peace tree. There was an old myth or wives' tale that has been kicking around for several generations and it is widely believed. It says that our way of life would end when the tree's branches were bare, and a new time of peace and prosperity would come only when the tree was in full leaf once more. Various people have been planting its seeds in numerous locations as well as on other planets, but none have ever sprouted."

Saphira flicked her tail as she responded, "If this myth is true, then perhaps it will recover once the proper people fill the Council spots."

Alex attempted a weak smile, "I really hope you are correct." He took a deep breath as his eyes trailed over to me, "Serena, would you possibly be able to assist?"

I froze in shock, how had he figured it out? Or was he just asking for my help in some other way? Saphira narrowed her eyes at Alex in suspicion as the same thoughts likely rolled through her head, "What kind of assistance?"

Alex shifted his weight self-consciously as everyone stared at him. Darien was watching him with a measuring gaze. Alex spoke slowly, "I have been around Serena in quite a few different situations and I am quite certain that she knows what I am talking about."

I looked up at Darien, uncertain if I should admit to the truth or not. He was easily able to pick up my emotions and know the reasons behind them this time.

He reassured me in a quiet voice, "I am behind you, regardless of what happens."

I had always kept my ability hidden out of fear. I had mostly gotten over that fear with the Dranek, but all of them knew about singers and they also knew I had that singing ability the second they saw me. This was different. Perhaps, just perhaps, it may allow me to make a difference in the world of the Tarulk as well...