Chapter 78

Serena's POV:

My internal debate didn't last that long. Alex was joining the Council, so I was certain we would come to visit him regularly. One of the Dranek would likely be taking a Council seat, and if the svipers joined, then I also wanted to come and visit with both races. Both of those races were already aware of my singing ability.

I took a deep breath, "I think I have to show you guys something..." I looked up at Darien, "Let's go outside to that tree."

He nodded and took my hand as he led me towards the door. Saphira followed behind us as Alex trailed behind. Fiona looked utterly confused.

We passed oblivious servants and even a couple of candidates in the hallways who weren't aware that something large and significant was about to occur. I rounded a corner and almost bumped into Lucas.

"Ah, there you guys are. I was just coming to see if you realized exactly how boring that library is. Where are we headed?"

Darien was slightly exasperated with his brother, on edge since I was about to expose my magic, "Serena offered to sing for us outside."

It sounded so mundane, yet those who truly knew me also knew what it meant. Although, I wasn't exactly sure if Alex knew what was about to occur, or how much he had figured out. Lucas perked up, "Cool, I will tag along then. I have never heard her sing before."

He joined our group as we headed outside. I slowly walked closer to the tree and Darien walked beside me. I stopped when I was close to the trunk as I gazed up at the massive tree. Its branches weren't exactly dead, but most of the branches were bare, with only a few pale gold leaves adorning them.

I leaned into Darien's side as I started humming. I could see a few guards on the walls and a few Tarulk servants on the grounds. They would likely be able to hear me sing and may connect my singing with the tree's recovery. Maybe. It wasn't exactly the most obvious conclusion.

My magic rose and I realized just how much help this tree needed. I wasn't even sure how it had managed to not lose most of its branches. My voice shifted into a soft wordless song as I called to the tree.

The ground had hardened with the passing of countless feet and any rainfall simply ran down the gentle slope. The ground was too dry. There was grass, but just beneath the grass the dirt was dry powder. The tree had a massive root system, but it wasn't sufficient and not going in quite the right directions. I pushed my senses out and located the flooded basement further over.

I coaxed the tree to send out a large root in that direction, promising it water. The moment the root found damp ground, its growth accelerated. My song allowed it to absorb massive amounts of water within mere heartbeats.

Before my very eyes, the bark became a richer brown and leaf buds swelled with its newfound resource. The whooshing sound of hundreds of thousands of leaves uncurling within seconds was a sound I had never heard before.

Flower buds grew and opened, allowing their fragrant scent to cascade down to those below. My soft song trailed off. I had barely sung for fifteen seconds, but the sheer power of my song never failed to shock me.

I glanced over to see that Alex look stunned, he clearly had not realized exactly what he had asked for. Fiona was blinking as if she was waiting for the mirage to disappear while Saphira looked awed at the rather noticeable change. Lucas simply gaped at the tree.

The other Tarulk within sight were all staring at the recovered tree - and at our group near its base, most likely thinking that our group had something to do with its recovery.