Chapter 79

Serena's POV:

We had all gathered in the garden behind the guesthouse that Darien and I used. It was quieter than the Council Building, much quieter. Word of the peace tree being in full leaf had Tarulk constantly coming to see it, and it astounded me just how far word had spread in just two days.

Alex had been formally accepted onto the Council today. He had spent most of his day with the two Councillors as they met with more candidates and discussed the previous ones. They were not in any hurry to nominate others just yet. He had also gotten a crash course in various things the Council did to keep the Tarulk society running smoothly.

I once more found it strange that Alex and Fiona sat side by side while I was on Darien's lap as per usual. Darien eventually picked up my slight confusion and looked down at me with softly glowing eyes, "What is confusing you?"

I flushed slightly, "I don't understand why Alex and Fiona don't seem as close as they used to be..."

The other Tarulk all started chuckling in amusement and, thankfully, were not offended by my question.

Alex had been holding Fiona's hand and held up their clasped hands, "Most Tarulk do not handle contact well and, when the soulbond settles down, there is no real compulsion for such close contact, although there is still a desire for small constant contact."

I was trying to understand, but not quite succeeding. The mate bond between Darien and I had settled down, but the desire for constant contact was almost as strong as before. Merely holding hands barely seemed sufficient.

Alex noticed my silent confusion and tried again, "I suspect with you being human, and with your soulbond being disturbed so much before it could settle, that it permanently affected the bond. Darien's strength never faded and the bond's drive for you to be so close didn't fade either."

"You mean our bond is still much like a brand new soulbond?"

"Exactly, your bond may have settled enough to allow you two to be apart, but it is nowhere near as easy for you two as it is for others."

Our mate bond was even further away from normal than I had previously realized. I considered it, but realized that I didn't really care. I had Darien, and that was all that mattered.

A faint hum that only I could hear made me look over and I smiled happily as I greeted Schlach, "Schlach, you made it. Thank you so much for coming!"

His scales shined in the light, with the exception of the scuffed up ones on his shoulders. He walked forward as he bared his teeth in what was clearly meant to be a smile. I had not realized just what big and sharp teeth he had....

His voice still held a trace of a hissing accent when he spoke, "I was a bit surprised to hear your call so soon. How are you doing?"

I got to my feet and walked closer, "I am doing very well, thank you. I hope your travels were easy."

My words amused him. "My travels are usually easy. What is new in this place?"

Here we go... I bowed my head respectfully, "The Council here wishes to invite a sviper to join the Council. They are looking for someone wise in years and long in thought, and they are hoping that the King and Queen may consider sending someone to join the Tarulk Council as well as act as an advisor."

Schlach had clearly not expected that response, and he sat on his haunches in surprise, "I do not know, but I will check."

He closed his eyes halfway as he began to deeply hum. If I hadn't known he was using magic, then I would have never guessed it. There was no indication that it was not just an average hum. He paused as if listening to a response, before humming again.

He blinked a few times before looking at me, "They have accepted the offer and have asked me to take the position. I am honored that they would request this of me, and I accept the position."

The svipers' communication hum was apparently more powerful than mine, or else they may just have more practice. It was certainly convenient at any rate.

I clapped my hands together in delight, I would get to see much more of him now, "Congratulations!"

He inclined his head as thanks. He looked at Alex, "You are also on the Council, no?"

How had Schlach heard that? Alex nodded, uncertain about this soon-to-be Council member, but was clearly trying to be open-minded, "Yes, I was just appointed this morning as well."

"I had wondered. I am sure we will get to know one another over time," Schlach glanced at the trees, "Much like the Dranek, you will not have to worry about locating a house for me. I prefer to sleep in places unknown to the gossip chains."

Alex didn't have any issue with that, "Certainly. If you ever need anything, please just let us know."

Schlach seemed happy and nodded as he took a closer look at the others present. Darien was standing beside me, watchful, but no longer overly concerned about the sviper. Saphira was still uneasy. Lucas was still sitting on the chair gazing at the large reptile with respect, shock, and caution.

Schlach's gaze focused on Darien, "You are keeping close to her, that is good. One's mate is more precious than anything in the world, and she needs more protecting than most."

I wasn't too sure what to make of his obscure words. Darien accepted it in stride, "I try to stay as close as I can."

Oddly enough, other than myself, Darien was the most relaxed out of those present. I wondered what his reading ability was picking up that reassured him so.

Schlach watched Darien as the tip of his tail idly twitched in thought. He turned his red eyes towards me, "You have not told him about the gift that the Queen and King gave you."

I flushed slightly, Schlach somehow knew without a doubt that I had not mentioned it. The others were glancing at me, probably wondering what I had been given and why I had not made mention of it earlier.

"Uh... I guess I never really talked about that night or about your people."

Schlach only seemed amused, "Life interrupts at inconvenient times. Although I do hope you will tell them in my hearing. I am curious to see your mate's reaction."

The gift the svipers had given me was priceless, and if he wanted to see Darien's reaction, then I was prepared to honor that request.

I turned around to face Darien, who was watching me in curiosity I held out my hands and he took them in his own before placing a gentle kiss on each one.

"You know that I healed the Queen and Princess. The King and Queen gave me a gift in return. They were able to sense our soulbond, and they used their magic to make my lifespan match yours."

Darien's jaw slowly dropped in astonishment, before he picked me up and twirled me around in relief so strong that it made the bond shift in reaction. He put me down and hugged me close. His voice was heavy with gratitude as he spoke to Schlach, "Thank you so much. Serena means the world to me, I lack words to show my gratitude."

Darien let me go and I turned so I could see the others. They all looked astonished and stunned. Schlach looked smug, although I wasn't sure how I could tell considering his scaled face did not convey emotions very well.

Alex recovered and gently inquired, "Serena, are you aware that Tarulk usually live around nine hundred years?"

It was my turn for my jaw to drop. I was completely speechless. I had guessed it would be a couple of centuries, but it looked like my guess was way off... I would have to ask Darien how old he was when we were alone tonight.

Schlach was watching my reaction with amusement as well.