― ii. know thy father, know thy son

𝓚𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐲 𝓕𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫,𝓚𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐲 𝓢𝐨𝐧

𝓚𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐲 𝓕𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫,
𝓚𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐲 𝓢𝐨𝐧

It was warm under her covers that night. A residual buzz of adrenaline pumped through Edelyn's veins as she listened to the celebrations that continued outside their tent. Victor Krum had caught the snitch, but Ireland had won, their spectacular chasers zipping across the pitch, filing into formations like a single unit and scoring goal after goal. Edelyn couldn't wait to get back on her broomstick and try the new moves she had filmed into memory — a pity Oliver Wood would no longer be there to give her pointers ( or to be half-proud half-peeved whenever she shot a Quaffle into one of his goalposts at practice ).

It wasn't until three o'clock in the morning did her eyes finally flutter close and her mind drift off into dreams of broomsticks and quaffles. Such dreams were short-lived, however, for she was soon jolted awake by the alarmed voice of Mr Diggory.

"Get up! Get up! Lyn, Cedric, come on! Get up!"

Sitting upright, Edelyn blinked a few times before a cold shiver ran down her spine — there was the sound of screams and hurried footsteps from outside the tent. 

"Dad? What's going on?" Cedric asked as Edelyn lept off from the top bunk.

"No time! Grab a jacket and get outside! Quick!"

Mr Diggory hurried out the tent, wand held aloft. Cedric and Edelyn exchanged an apprehensive look. "Come on, Lynnie." Cedric threw on a hooded jumper and tossed Edelyn the knitted cardigan she had worn earlier. Swallowing away the unease that swelled in their throats, the two hastily snatched their wands and ran out after Mr Diggory. 

Edelyn gasped; Cedric reached over and clutched her hand. 

A most horrid sight met their eyes. By the light of the few fires that were still burning, they could see people running away into the woods, fleeing from a crowd of masked wizards that were pointing their wands upward and marching slowly across the field, cackling and laughing in glee. High above them, floating in midair, were four struggling figures contorted into grotesque shapes. Two of them looked like children.

Anxiety rattled Edelyn's bones and she barely registered what Mr Diggory shouted at them before he ran off, leaving her and Cedric standing alone in the crowd of panic-stricken witches and wizards. 

Seeing the newfound pallidness in her face, Cedric turned to her and cupped her face with his hands. "Hey, hey," he coaxed. "Take a deep breath for me, Lynnie. One big breath." She complied, mirroring the rise and fall of his chest. "It's going to be okay," he said, voice rather shaky. "Just follow me, alright?" 

Edelyn nodded. Cedric sent her a reassuring smile before grasping her hand tightly in his and pulling her into the woods along with the rest of the throng. But as they passed a thicket of trees, Edelyn's foot got caught under a root in the earth and she tripped, hand releasing from Cedric's as she fell. By the time she scrambled back up to her feet, Cedric had been pulled away by the horde, and she could only vaguely hear the distant shouts of her name.