― vi. oh boy, boys!

𝓞𝐡 𝓑𝐨𝐲, 𝓑𝐨𝐲𝐬!

𝓞𝐡 𝓑𝐨𝐲, 𝓑𝐨𝐲𝐬!

Before long, it was the first of December and the castle grounds were covered in a blanket of white. Edelyn sat on a log near the frozen Black Lake, face buried in an old copy of Oscar Wilde's most notable plays, sent to her anonymously the previous year. Snowflakes dusted her hair and she found peace in the stillness — a stark contrast from Hermione and Ron's loud bickering on how Crookshanks was shedding fur everywhere ( or at least, Ron was arguing that it was Crookshanks' hair, while Hermione reasoned that it could be him balding from the stress of the upcoming Yule Ball )

The quietude, however, was soon disturbed as a voice called from behind, "Lynnie?"

Folding the top corner of the page, Edelyn closed the book and turned her head to see Cedric striding over. "Ron said you'd be here," he said, sitting down beside her. "I've got something to give you — a belated birthday present."

"But, Ced, you already got me a new jumper!" she protested. "You really don't have to—"

Cedric playfully rolled his eyes. "Shush, you're spoiling the moment." He grinned and reached into the pocket of his school robes, pulling out a small parcel. "Here you are," he said, handing it to Edelyn, who then carefully untied the string that held the paper gift wrap in place and revealed a bronze-chained necklace with a glowing charm of a golden snitch.

A wide smile bloomed across Edelyn's face. "It's beautiful!"

Cedric beamed. "You haven't seen the best part yet. Clasp your hand around the charm."

Edelyn did as instructed and when she released the snitch, her lips parted. The round portion of the golden snitch slowly glimmered into an image of her and Cedric at the Quidditch World Cup. Edelyn was piggy-backed on Cedric's back, her arms wrapped around his neck. They were both grinning from ear to ear at what Edelyn knew was the camera Amos was holding and wearing as much green as they could muster. After a few breaths, the image faded and the glimmering snitch returned to its golden colour.

"Ced..." Edelyn exhaled, looking up at him with glossy eyes.

"After we got back, I felt really guilty about losing you that night," Cedric explained, tucking his hands into his pockets. "So, Mum helped me find the necklace over the summer and Dad helped me with the charms. I wanted to give you something that reminded you of the World Cup without the whole Crouch business. I know it's a snitch and not a quaffle, but...quaffle's don't exactly look like anything other than a ball..." He chuckled nervously. "So, I thought this would—"

"It's perfect." Edelyn slipped on the necklace and smiled down at the glistening charm before flinging her arms around Cedric. "I love it, and I love you," she muttered, squeezing him tightly and pecking him on the cheek before pulling apart. Then, catching sight of the watch around his wrist, she suddenly gasped.