Surrender

Everything seemed to be falling into place. This bittersweet dream finally beginning to have its happy ending. Mr. Hale holds underneath my arm to help me stand on my feet again. "Don't say something you aren't going to mean later," I breathe trying to catch my breath.

If there was one thing I didn't like it had been crying. For me crying had shown that I was actually feeling a certain way about a situation. It almost gave that situation power over me to either make things better or worse. They say if you cry you're letting out all your worries, stress, and negative thoughts over you. Maybe I needed a cleanse myself.

Mr. Hale wipes away the tears from my cheeks. "Ellie, I mean everything I say. Last year I lied about not wanting you, not loving you, and not wanting to be with you. Sometimes we do the things we don't want to ensure the happiness of another is successful," he sounds like an old soul giving me the much needed wisdom I needed to hear.

"I understand.." I fidget with my fingers trying not to make eye contact for I feel foolish like a child who realizes their wrong doings.

Mr. Hale places his hand around my waist. "Let's rejoin the event," he insists leading me back out to the crowd.

While in the midst of my breakdown I had forgotten about event taking place. This was awful timing to want to get emotional. Now I feel ashamed of my behavior before, but there he was making sure that I had the reassurance I needed. Damn he was too good.

We walk into the the sea of people chatting. I enjoy an hors d'oeuvres off of the tray of which a waiter was holding as he walked around to everyone. It tasted of mashed potatoes and seafood. The juices of the salmon hitting me at once. I was starved.

"We will grab dinner once the function is over," he says low enough for me to hear

My stomach grows at the taste of a bacon cheeseburger or cobb salad. Either way I either wanted one of those or both. Thank God I have a fast metabolism because all this greasy food would have me shaped like a sack of potatoes. Luckily Mr. Hale didn't have that problem. When I was his assistant his workout regiment had been every other day depending on the week. Even I noticed during the summer he wanted to look extremely attractive. I don't think I've ever seen Mr. Hale eat a full meal in front of me.

"I'm starved that I could eat just about anything."

I hear the clicking of a fork next to a glass which grabs the attention of everyone. It is Dr. Brennan standing on the patio above everyone holding a glass of wine. "I'd like to thank everyone for coming tonight. I know many of us would rather be working because there is nothing more entertaining than business meetings, long hours, and short coffee breaks. But let's take a step back and reward our efforts to making such a big impact on the small community in which we came from. Mr. Hale, Charlie, Bronson, and myself have grew up on these streets. So we'd like to start by giving away some of our most prized possessions as well as from some of the many organizations dedicated to making our community once great." A young woman comes to the side of Dr. Brennan removing the glass from his hand.