Chapter 10

'Kate!' Scarlet called as I made my way onto the sports feild. I spun around and smilied.

'Hey' I greeted her.

'Where were you?' She asked, a bit anxious. 'I couldn't find you at all since you ran into the bathroom'. I shrugged.

'I was with Jason' I told her. She raised an eyebrow and grinned. 'No! No, we're just friends' I assured her. She nodded, still unconvinced.

'Ok then. Um, one last thing. You weren't planning on playing the game today, right?' I looked at her, confused.

'Yeah, of course I was. I always play'. She shifted uneasily.

'Well, to be more girly you kind of have to stop acting like a boy. I mean that you can't play rough sports like American Football'. I was shocked.

'What!?' I screamed. All that happy just washed away. 'But PE is the only subject I actually like!' She smiled sympathetically.

'Sorry. You can still play netball, I guess'. I moaned. She nodded slightly and walked away. I let that sink in, today is a nightmare!

'Kate!' The coach called. I sighed and walked over to him.

'Yes sir?' I asked. He smiled seriously.

'Now, you're the only girl playing today is the opposition will think that putting you on will be a joke. I'm not sure wether they'll go easy or hard on you, but take it as an advantage. Just do what you learnt in training, and you'll be fine' he said, patting me on the back. I nodded uneasily. 'I know you won't let us down'. I smiled reassuringly at him. He grinned and ran over to the rest of the team for a pep talk. Jason put his arm around my shoulder.

'This is gonna be easy' he said calmly, sounding like he was in a trance. He grinned sheepishly. I laughed nervously. He stopped grinning and looked at me worriedly. 'You ok?' He asked. I nodded.

'Yeah. Fine, why?' I asked, a bit too quickly. He eyed me suspiciously.

'Its just that,my inure usually really pumped and eager but you seem a bit nervous at the moment'.

'Great observation' I muttered sarcastically. The grin returned to his face.

'You'll be fine. You're gonna so win this cup for us, you're our secret weapon'. I nodded. Jason ran off to take his position on the field.

'Milgrow!' Coach yelled at me. 'Get in the game!' I gulped and made my way onto the field. The boys at Garrington High started laughing.

'You can't be serious!' One cried. I could feel anger welling up inside me as I took my position. No way am I gonna loose this game just for some sick contest! The whistle blew. The game started, everyone was doing what we decided for the game plan. I jogged towards the spot I was supposed to take. My partner kept up easily. Just as planned. I spotted Greg pass the ball to Andrew. That's my cue. I sprinted down the field, dodging any tackle attempts. I made eye contact with Andrew and nodded. He threw the ball to me strongly. I pushed pass my partner and reached for the ball, only just catching it. I grabbed it in and bolted towards the goal. Touchdown! The crowd applauded as I made a sarcastic bow. The opposition stared at me, mouths open wide. I raised an eyebrow at them and smirked. Jason was right, Garrington High are idiots. We reset and waited for the whistle to blow. I eyed Scarlet in the crowd, who was shaking her head angrily.

'Oh crap' I muttered. The whistle blew and I started to jog forwards, not knowing what to do. I noticed how I was the only one open. I cursed. Harry, who had the ball, noticed too and threw the ball over to me. Now for the moment of truth. I took a shaky breath and ran towards the ball, missing it. I can't believe I did that! My opponent took advantage of this and grabbed the ball, pushing me out of the way and passed the ball down the field. I staggered, landing face first in the mud.

'Touchdown!' The ref screamed. Jason ran over to me and quickly helped me up.

'Are you ok? What happened!?' He asked. I felt sick inside. What's happening to me!

'I-I'm not feeling that well' I lied and ran off the field, leaving a stunned team behind me.

**********************************************************************************************************

So there you go! Sorry about it being quite short and for taking so long to update. PROMISE BREAKER!! I'll probably end up updating again on the weekend some time so you're just gonna have to wait a week :(

Also I have no knowledge what so ever on American football so sorry if it's completely wrong. I have a huge knowledge on rugby, tennis, netball, swimming, soccer, cricket, basketball, squash, cycling etc but not American football so sorry about that.