108. Worth

108. Worth

"What the hell, NOW you're protecting him?" Squalo snapped, his sword arm raising in anger.

"Wait, I said!" Mammon retorted in his calmer tone, "If what he says is true, he would be an invaluable piece!"

"Who's the 'man in the iron hat'?" Belphegor inched closer to me, extremely amused, "What's makin' the baby so hyped up? You know, don'tcha?"

Levi just sighed in defeat.

I chuckle. "Long story," I smiled back. Belphegor wasn't speaking to me out of friendliness-- I knew that. He only saw me as an amusing person that seemed to possess blackmail material-- Yet, I pretended to be cheerful; simply because I would be quickly killed if I showed any hesitation.

Reaching for my arm, Squalo dragged me upwards. "Look, why don't we ask the Boss??" Squalo groaned, "And that fucker decides what we do with this!"

Pulled over the couch and my feet sliding towards the ground, my first attempt at balance was met with a sharp jolt of pain up the balls of my feet. Flinching, my other foot came down and didn't hold up either.

Falling face first onto the ground, I let out a yelp in surprise before I literally faceplanted to my emotional death.

There was a stunned silence.

"Oh are you fuckin' kidding me." Squalo groaned in exasperation.

I chuckled in awkward faithfulness.

-

Pulled along by the back of my collar, I was tossed into a very isolated room. Only Squalo stepped in after me; Belphegor and the rest staying outside by the door.

"We brought a mouse for ya," Belphegor chimed.

Lifting my head, I found Xanxus.

Sitting casually on a cushion, a knee pulled up-- his eyes drifted to me. Scrutinizing me with a look of contempt-- he didn't speak a word. He didn't even yell at me or tell us to get lost.

Pulling myself up, I struggled onto my knees and looked down.

It hurt to be in this position-- especially including my half-disabled legs. But I bore with it and didn't dare look upward.

His condescending glare was a slab of gravity over my entire being; a rock of pressure and intimidation crushing me beneath. I think I was frozen still-- stiff, unmoving.

Immobile from the sheer impact of his eyes meeting mine.

Squalo did the talking.

And I couldn't register much in my head. The gravity of the situation-- the fact that I was now useless, powerless, defenseless; thrown into the den, almost as if karma was biting down on me.