Chapter 17

After a few days, Natalya has fully recovered. It wasn't a dream. Constantin was talking now. Although he could talk it was only for a brief amount of time.

His vocal cords were still healing and putting stress on it seemed to prolong the healing process. Natalya was still adjusting to the idea of Constantin's ability to speak. She had noticed a few changes in him. His wolf seemed stronger and his confidence has grown a little more. She wasn't sure if it had to do with him being able to speak or the power she shared with him through the mate bond.

Constantin had left her briefly to run upstairs and grab her change of clothing. She took a shower and brushed her teeth. Feeling refreshed more than ever, she stepped out of the bathroom with a clean pair of hospital t-shirt and light blue hospital pants.

When she entered into her room, she was surprised to see who was waiting for her. Michael stood by the window of the hospital room. His back was turned to her until he heard her come in. Turning around his hardened hazel eyes met hers.

"Hi." He was the first to break the silence.

"Hi." She replied back but remained standing where she was. They were a good five to seven yards apart.

He chuckled nervously before looking down at his feet and then back up at her. Michael doesn't often show people this side of him. She was one of the few that he does. It made his hard exterior more inviting and him a little more werewolf than just a walking robot.

"I wanted to come in and see how you were doing." He admitted. "I am glad to see you are doing perfectly fine."

Natalya remained silent because she knew he wasn't done yet.

He took a couple steps towards her. "Natalya, I wanted to talk to you."

"Michael, I am not the one for you." She answered him.

He stopped in his pursuit towards her and gave her a sad smile. "I know."

"Then why did you fight Constantin?" She questioned.

"Because I am jealous of you. If I had a choice to choose who I wanted to be with the rest of my life, it will be you. I wanted so badly for there to be such a thing as second chance mate. That when you turned werewolf, you will be able to recognize that I am yours. When that day didn't come, I was severely heartbroken. I like you so damn much it hurts to see you with another. You are an unbelievable woman. You are compassionate, sweet, and have a humor that seems to lighten my day in a matter of seconds. I hung around you so often and pursued you because you made me feel things I have never felt before." He took in a slow breath before meeting her eyes again. That smile never disappearing from his face. She felt bad for him. She truly did but she also didn't want to give him something she knew she will never be able to.

"You are a very nice guy. I know you will protect what you love with all you have. I am sorry that I am not your mate but I know that there is someone out there for you." She said.

He smirked. "Will she be as amazing as you?"

She smiled back. "Probably not. I am one in a million."

He chuckled. "That I can't deny."

"Friends?" She said after they were silent for a few moments. His gaze roamed her face for a brief second before he nodded.

"Friends." He responded.

The door opened and Constantin walked in. His eyes immediately found Michael and a scowl appeared on his face. He walked over to Natalya's side with a bag of clothes in his hand. She could see the possessiveness that reflected in her mate's irises. He wasn't too happy to find his mate in a very small room with another man--not just any man but the man who challenged him for his mate.