↳ NINE

AS NIGHT FELL and darkness descended into the City of Angels, allowing its pesky criminals the safety of the shadows, Izzy's ecstatic buzz was wearing off and she had trailed into the state of nursing the rising hangover she was suddenly ...

         AS NIGHT FELL and darkness descended into the City of Angels, allowing its pesky criminals the safety of the shadows, Izzy's ecstatic buzz was wearing off and she had trailed into the state of nursing the rising hangover she was suddenly painfully aware of. The feel of Mazikeen's arm wrapped around hers was but a memory — albeit a sweet one — and she had left Lux behind for Dan's request to join the Espinoza brothers for pizza night, a thought that wonderfully pleased the cravings developing in the depths of her pounding head.

          There was a slight chance that Izzy was avoiding going home and facing Diane, paralyzed by the shame of getting kicked off a case during her first weeks in the LAPD, but her clueless mother had encouraged her to join Dan and Benjamin for a while, so the redhead tried to push down the guilt in her heart as she sat on the passenger seat of Dan's car and stared out the window while hot pizza boxes rested on her lap. "Thank you for asking me to come with", she eventually broke the heavy silence, which had landed in the vehicle once the deputy had turned off the blasting radio with a cringe — usually, she would have enjoyed the catchy tune of Kickstart My Heart but right now, she wasn't in the mood for any more unnecessary irritants.

          "No problem", Dan beamed, "I think Benji is pretty excited to spend more time with you, anyway", his shoulders lifting in a casual shrug, although his words managed to stretch Isadora's lips.

          And he wasn't wrong — the youngest Espinoza had been eager to get to know her better, learning all about her dog, her lifelong dream to become a cop and her favorite pizza toppings. But much like she had feared, time flew by quicker than expected and in a blink of an eye she was already hailing a cab and unloading her wrecked nerves into her picked nails while going through all possible outcomes of telling the truth to Diane. Undoubtedly she was going to be disappointed — or at the very least Izzy couldn't stop her anxious thoughts from feeding her that stupid word. Disappointed.

          "Oh, hi darling! How was your day?", the older cop was meeting her daughter at the door as Isadora nervously stepped inside in the late hours, instinctively crouching down to meet Thor with kisses as the dog threw himself onto her boots and cried desperately.

          Clearing her throat once she had shed her jacket and shoes, Izzy shrugged but spoke up nonetheless. "Actually, not... too good. I, uh, I punched some guy— he was bullying this gay kid and then tried to hurt me— with, with words, I mean, and I just kind of... snapped. So I got taken off of the case", she came clean with the heavy truth instead of circling around the facts, but as Diane's eyes widened, the younger Holt was quick to continue. "I spent some time with Benjamin though, so that was nice. And had a few drinks", she explained, but at the realization that the mention of getting wasted wasn't an improvement, she groaned and let her head fall to her palms in despair.

          The sound of Diane's sweet laughter was a surprise, though, and it made Izzy look up in surprise. "Oh, honey. I'm sorry, that does sound terrible, but it's not that serious. You think I had a perfect record? Nuh-uh, I was taken off my fair share of cases because of unprofessional behavior but that never stopped me. Now, tell me, what did that cruel man say to you that made you so upset?", she quirked an eyebrow, knowing her daughter well enough to know that she didn't rage out too easily.