Chapter Fifty-Three

When Crissa had left her parents' home that morning to check on David, she had originally planned to return up the mountain that evening following a lengthy visit with her mother and father. The frightening incident with the local wolves inside the cabin had changed all that, compelling her to escape with David and bring him back to his own small place for further recovery. The surprise phone call from Trisha about Professor Dekker now altered her plans even more, as she felt a need to return to her dorm room and confront the professor by phone. She needed to hear firsthand what his intentions were with David.

It was not totally news to her that Dekker might be seeking David out, as she had learned as much from Brad only the day before. Now, as she pulled her father's car into the driveway, she understood she would have to cut her visit short with her parents and return by taxi to the university. There she would wait for the professor's next attempt to reach her.

"But Crissy," her mother lamented, "you've been out all morning. And most the day, darling. Why can't you stay the rest of the evening here? In your own room? It's newly painted and with all new curtains! Can't you stay at least until Sunday sometime, hon?"

"Yeah, well mom, I just got a call from Trisha. She's pretty sick . . . Again!  Throwing up like crazy, she says. And worried she may pass out. She's just not safe over there, by herself like that."

"My gosh, Crissa! You think it's food poisoning?"

No, Mom. Alcohol. She has an intolerance to it. And then goes out in the evening like an idiot and gets totally drunk. I told you she was problematic. It's happened before. Unfortunately, as her roommate, I'm the only one to care for her."

"Well, isn't there anyone in the dormitory that can . . ."

"No, Mom. Ok, if you're dying, they'll get you to the hospital."

"Well, what about her . . ."

"Her parents live in San Diego, Mom. Look . . . I just have to get back. I'll stay over here maybe next weekend. Tell Dad what happened. And tell him I'm sorry, OK?"

"Well honey, you can tell him yourself. He'll be back from the supermarket anytime now."

Crissa handed her mother the car keys.

"Really, Mom. I have to go."

As she turned and walked back toward the front door, a wave of guilt came over her. She never felt good about lying to her parents. She also knew how they missed her and how she had not spent the quality time with them they both deserved. As she turned and walked back for a final hug, she felt the tears well up in her eyes. She never knew her young life could have become so complicated, all from her expedition that summer.

* * *

As Crissa entered her dorm room an hour later, she found Trisha in her exercise tights and sitting in the middle of the floor, cross-legged in a yoga position.

"Hey, girlfriend," Trisha uttered between deep breaths.

"You're looking pretty healthy there," Crissa answered, walking around her to run the hot water for a shower.

"So how was your day?" Trisha continued, raising her arms upward slowly for an extended stretch.

Crissa began to undress. She could smell the perspiration the whole ordeal with David and the wolves had left on her.

"Well, not as exciting as your night must have been," Crissa said boldly.

Trisha broke her concentration to smile. "Oh yeah . . . that."