Chapter 4

(Justin's Side)

Why does Jessie think it's okay to just leave me for him? I have known her our whole lives, she has known him a day and she is already kissing him? I've been here since the beginning, way longer than him. If anyone is going to be with her, I deserve to be with h— Something may have just occurred to me. Is it possible I have feelings for her? Like romantic ones?

The rage and jealousy only come out when she talks to other guys and him. If I'm being honest, it's really when she gets flirted with or asked out. That's why all the guys at school know she's off limits. I set them all straight in the 5th grade. That is the first time one of them tried to be with her. She doesn't need any of those brainless guys who think with their wrong head. I can't help when new people come to town, I'll make sure Cole knows what is up real soon. She is way too good for any of them. I'm grateful she is even around me.

Maybe I do have a little bit of feelings for her? That doesn't matter right now, even if I do. I can tell something isn't right about this Cole guy. For one; he's a stalker and two: he looks like the type of guy who has more than one girlfriend. He just moved here so he probably has other girls at home and Jessie is way too good to be hurt by him. She's too good for most people, hell myself included. I'm going to text Jessie and tell her what I think.

Me: Hey Jess, I'm sorry for slamming the door on you. I just don't think that "Cole" guy is all to gr8. He's a douche. Idk why I just have a bad feeling.

I wait for what feels like forever for her to reply.

Jessie: Why are you trying to ruin a relationship that hasn't even started yet? I actually like this guy, for once he's not a two-timing player like you! So just drop it!!

That hurt. I don't bother replying after that. All I know is that I can't just drop it.

I know New York is big, but I know my Jess and there's only a few places she loves to go. I know I can find something about him to prove he's a bad person. I just need to find them. I check the Pizza Den; they were not there. I check the library and the bookstore, not there. There is only one more place I can think of that I know is her favorite: Starbucks.

I walk through the doors and I see them. The sight of him gives me chills down my spine. I'm grateful there is a wall behind them and they aren't facing it. The top half of the wall is glass so even if I got up they wouldn't see me. I'm peeking around the corner every now and then but I'm mainly trying to listen to their conversation. I can make out most of what they're saying.

Jess gets up, I quickly cover my face, I see her go to the bathroom until she is out of sight. I keep an eye out for Cole. I get a little closer and I'm right behind him looking over his shoulder. I see him pull out his phone and type something to someone. He is texting too fast. By the time I try to read it, he puts his phone away. The waitress shows back up and I sit back in my seat.

"Need anything handsome?" she is flirting with him knowing he is here with someone. Really classy lady.

"No, I'm good for now but I can take a side of you later to go?"

Did he really just say that? It was an awful line at that. I'm going to barf on his head.

She giggles, "I get off in two hours. When you're done with her you can take a real woman out."

I look back and watch him give her his number. I know two things:
1.) I am sick to my stomach but I'm right about him.
2.) I have to tell Jessie.

Right as I open my phone to text her, I hear another phone go off. I thought it was mine at first. I look behind me and see it was Cole's. I can read it over his shoulder this time.