Walls talk

Chapter

I shook my head when I saw her disappear. I turned around to walk away when my eyes caught something. An instant shock went through my body when I saw what it was. On the floor next to the bench was another letter, in the same envelope I always get it. I looked around but saw no one. I walked towards it with my crutches and picked it up. I almost fell but I managed to balance myself. I opened the letter, holding my breath. I got angrier the more I reality was slapped into my face.

'Dear Nila,

"He created the heavens and the earth with truth. He wraps the night around the day and wraps the day around the night, and has made the Sun and Moon subservient, each one running for a specified term. Is He not indeed the Almighty, the Endlessly Forgiving? (Surah az-Zumar, 5)"

Oh, very dear Nila. You can't ever start a fight you never win. Why is it a fight? Why are you fighting? Why don't you let go? Let the knife drop and put the gun away. When you try to avoid it instead of standing ready to attack, life will be so much easier. Yes, you ignored before and yes it didn't work. But there is a difference between ignoring and avoiding. You will know soon enough. Trust Noah, whatever he says, he is on the same boat too. Where the ocean takes you is up to you. You are the captain and can make the decisions. The islands are waiting for you. Sadness Island, Confusion Island, Happy Island- all of these are ready to take in humans for it to grow to its name. Choose your direction without considering others. Everyone wants to be somewhere else and everyone needs to go alone. You have Noah on your deck, take him along with you. He wants to be where you are. Find it.'

I closed the letter, looking around. I was so confused, but also a little relieved. I felt like a lost fish in a big ocean, yet that was not who I was. The first quote was getting to me, so I went to the library. I was eager to find out what it meant. I knew it had to do with my project. The writer of these letters knew what my part of the project was. They knew what I was trying to find. I stepped into the library that was near my school and sat down, opening my laptop immediately. I typed over the quote from the beginning, to realise that it was actually a sentence out of the Qur'an. I was a little dumbfounded, since my part of the project was indeed about Islam. I read the quote over and over again. It gave me a different feeling, something I had never felt before. I brushed it off, not wanting to think about the letter. I started doing my project. Reading about the universe in religion is so different, because it is true. What's written is the truth. Scientifically.

"And the Sun runs to its resting place. That is the decree of the Almighty, the All-Knowing. And We have decreed set phases for the Moon, until it ends up looking like an old palm spathe. It is not for the Sun to overtake the Moon nor for the night to outstrip the day; each one is swimming in a sphere. (Surah Ya Sin, 38-40)"

I copy pasted all of the information I could find about it. I was a little mesmerized, but not completely convinced of the information being based on scientific knowledge in that century. I knew I needed to figure that out too, but I left that for another day. I worked some more on my project before I decided to head home. I grabbed all my things, leaving the library.

I was met with the cold air stroking my face. I tightened my jacket, as if that was going to make me feel warmer. Sometimes the things from outside couldn't warm you, no matter how hot it was. When the heart is cold, it could only be warmed by the heart itself, accompanied by the mind and soul. The body couldn't heaten up the cold heart, that wasn't possible. The heart needed a different warmth. Comfort. Reassurance. Love. I could feel the coldness of my heart surrounding my body, trying to swallow my mind and soul in the process. I knew I shouldn't allow it, I should fight it, but I never knew how.

When I reached the house, I was a little terrified to enter. I didn't know what Black was going to do. I just hoped that my parents were home, not that they were stopping him ever. It was like a silent vow to never stop him, as if I was meant to be in this position. I opened the door with my key, hearing some noises. He was home. I tried to enter silently, but our door always made some noise when it opened, so he knew I came home. The door to the living room was closed and I expected him to come, yet he didn't. The door didn't open and the noises continued. I ran up the stairs, entering my room. The safe spot in my life. I always had this secure feeling when I entered this room, since I knew these walls. These walls were there, more than anyone. They have seen the best and the worst of me. They know everything about me and witnessed anything I went through. The were my safe heavens.

After working for schoolfor hours, I knew I had to go downstairs. They were still there. I guess Blackhad his friends over. Hunger was taking over and I knew I should be allowed togo through this house like I wanted. So I pushed all of my bravery together andwalked down the stairs. My crutches were making lot of sounds, but not beatinglouder than my own heart. I tried not to think about it. Taking a deep breath,I opened the door to the living room. Black and his friends were all staring atme, except for one person. No one said anything and they continued talking. Iwalked over to the kitchen slowly with my crutches. The thing was that theycouldn't see me in the kitchen, but they could hear me. I was about to take outsome leftover food from the fridge when I saw the note on it. 'Went to asurprise trip for two weeks. Behave. Mom&dad' was written on it. My heartstarted beating faster. Two weeks alone with Black. I was surprised why hedidn't even say anything when I entered the living room, but this must be thereason. I knew he had planned things. I just knew it. Shaking my head, I took out the leftover foodand heated it up. I wanted to make coffee too, knowing that I needed it. Itried to grab a mug, but I couldn't reach it. I also couldn't lift myselfbecause of my leg. When I was about to give up, someone from behind me grabbeda mug and put it in front of me. I turned, seeing that it was one person Ididn't expect to be at this house. He looked me in the eyes, not moving away.He reached to the other cabinet, still not moving, grabbing a bag of crispsbefore he turned around to walk away, without saying anything. I needed to askhim some questions so I reached out without thinking, grabbing him by his armto stop him. He stopped and turned towards me, looking me in the eyes. I wantedto talk, to ask him what has been on my mind since the incident at school but Iknew that the ones inside could hear us. Noah's expression didn't change whichalso stopped me from talking, so I let go of his arm. He gave me one last lookbefore he turned around and walked away. I turned and leaned against thecounter, feeling like I had lost something. Suddenly, I wasn't even hungryanymore and I only let the slightly hot coffee slide down my throat. I thenturned around to go back to my room and no one even knew I was walking towardsthe door. My eyes were set on one person, who wasn't still acknowledging me. Iturned away, going up to my room, spending the next hours thinking of what wasgoing on.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Interesting Fact: I love my room.