Chapter 23: Favorite Soup

"Who are you?"

Mi-Rae's entire body had tightened as if those words had suddenly bound themselves around her

Mi-Rae's entire body had tightened as if those words had suddenly bound themselves around her. Trying to regain her composure, she sneered at the blonde and set down her utensil. She cocked her head as she struggled to put on her most innocent smile. "What? Namjoon, I don't unde-"

"I said, who are you?"

"Namjoon, isn't that a weird question to ask me? You know who I am"

The English teacher continued to stare the female down. Her face was identical to the beautiful young maiden he had fallen in love with all those years ago. But from the very beginning, there had been something off about her. He had been so blinded by his yearning of keeping his promise to Eunah, he had failed to realize this.

 He had been so blinded by his yearning of keeping his promise to Eunah, he had failed to realize this

Briefly, for a moment, a vision of the past had flashed before his eyes. He and Eunah were sitting in the clearing.

Geonwu looks down as Eunah hands him a small bowl wrapped in cloth. "What is this?"

"....it's your favorite soup. You always talked about how much you missed it so I decided to try and make for you..."

Geonwu rose his eyebrows in surprise, pulling away the cloth to reveal a steamy broth with the most succulent aroma he had ever encountered.

Eunah fidgeted slightly as she adjusted her hanbok, speaking shyly. "I asked one of the servants to teach me the recipe. I hope to become a great cook one day..."

Geonwu wasted no time in lifting the bowl to his lips and slurped away at the soup.

Watching him attentively, Eunah leaned slightly forward. Biting her bottom lip, she began to worry if she had seasoned the dish well enough.

"How is it?"

Geonwu lowered the bowl and swallowed. Lifting his eyes towards the clear sky, he exhaled and looked to the pink-gowned maiden. "Song...Eunah..." His lips slowly crept into a thoughtful smile. "It's delicious"