― iii. liquorice wands and ferrets

𝓛𝐢𝐜𝐪𝐮𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝓦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝓕𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬

"I'm worried about Lyn..."

"I know...Me too. We've been on the train for at least an hour now, and we didn't see her on the platform either..."

"You worry too much," Ron said. He glanced out the window at the passing countryside and yawned loudly. "I'm sure she's fine."

Hermione scowled. "She's your best friend, Ron!" She slapped his knee with the rolled issue of the Daily Prophet in her hand. "How can you not be worried about her after what happened at the Quidditch World Cup? We haven't heard a peep from her since — no letter, or anything!"

"You're right, Hermione. Lyn is my best mate, which is why I'm not worried." Ron grimaced as Crookshanks stared ugly-faced at him. "She's tougher than the two of you give credit."

Hermione sighed, her mouth curled in a deep frown. "The way Barty Crouch rounded on her like that just because she's Sirius' daughter...It was so — so wrong."

"Yeah, well he doesn't know Sirius is innocent, does he? He still thinks Sirius is a barking mad murderer."

"Yeah, and so does Lyn," Harry muttered.

"You know what I don't understand?" 

"There's something you don't understand?" Ron snorted. "That's new."

Hermione shot him a disgruntled look. "Is why," she continued, "Sirius doesn't want her to know he's innocent. I mean, she's his daughter, and they've been apart for so long. Why wouldn't he want to be with her?"

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that too," Harry muttered. "And it's not like he doesn't care. He keeps asking me about her in his letters."

Hermione sighed once more. "I hate keeping something this big from her."

"What if we...you know, just told her?" Ron asked. 

The three sat in silence as they pondered on such a proposition.

It couldn't hurt, could it? Harry conjectured.

It would be good for Sirius. Hermione thought. And for Lyn, too. She deserves to know...

I wonder what will be at the feast. Ron reflected.

They all jumped in surprise when the compartment door suddenly slid open. "At last!" Edelyn exclaimed, throwing her arms dramatically up in the air as she plopped down on the bench beside Ron. "I've finally gotten away from him."

"Lyn!" Hermione exclaimed.

"What's wrong with you three? You look like you've all seen a Boggart..."