(25) Only for you.

Chapter 25- Only for you.

"Dad?" I called out as soon as I had opened the wooden door. "Dad?" Was he in? His car was on drive. I huffed.

It wasn't his fault he was always busy, I guess the job he was involved in was a demanding one. After all, I couldn't complain, he did it to put food on our table and clothes on our backs. But it would be better to see him around the house more often, and when he says he'll stick around more, I wanted him to stick to it.

I dumped my bag onto the floor as I made my way into the kitchen.

"Dad?" I said as soon as I saw his back facing me. He was sat on one of the bar stools cradling his head in his hands.

He jumped up and spun around to face me.

"Hey, Cali," he replied. His face was pale and he wore dark black bags under his eyes. He looked extremely unwell.

"What's the matter? Are you ill?" I asked as I laid my hand on his head. He swatted my hand away weakly.

"I'm meant to do that, not you," he replied. I laughed slightly.

"I'm serious, dad, what's the matter?"

"I'm just tired, love," was his reply. I looked at him for a while, trying to search for a sign hiding in the depths of his eyes which would confirm that he was infact ill. After a couple of minutes I sighed in defeat.

"Has work tired you out?" I asked with sympathy as I put the kettle on. "Do you want some coffee?"

"Yes and yes," he replied as he laid his head on his knuckles. I nodded.

"Why don't you go to sleep?" I asked.

"I can't," was his only reply. I turned around to gauge his reaction. He was quiet tonight.

"Dad, I'm sorry but this doesn't sit well with me," I stated truthfully. I didn't like seeing him like this, and I knew he wasn't just tired. There was something more. He must be ill, he didn't look just tired.

"What do you mean, love?"

"Nothing," I sighed. He didn't push or question further.

I made my father his coffee before placing it carefully infront of him.

"Cali?" I lifted my head to look at him.

"Yeah?"

"I need a word with Kyle," he stated. My eyebrows furrowed on their own accord as I looked to him confusingly.

"What? why?"

"I need a daddy and future son in law talk," I rolled my eyes as my cheeks flushed. Atleast he was starting to act like his normal self.

"Dad," I groaned. "Shut up," he chuckled slightly and coughed.

"Can you bring him over?" He asked. I hesitated for a few seconds before sighing. I guess I had to. I didn't want it to happen but I suppose it would happen and it's better to get it over and done with now.

"Fine," I sighed. "When?"

"Now," he shrugged as if he didn't really mind when. I nodded my head.

"I'll go and get him," I said as I made my way out of the kitchen and to my front door. I made my way onto my drive and up to Kyle's. My knuckles wrapped on his door.

A couple of seconds later the door swung open. A middle aged woman stood at the threshold. It was Kyle's mother, I recognised her.

"Hey, I was hoping to speak to Kyle, please?" I asked nicely.