Ill Tempered Wife of the Second Prince

It's loud, why is it too loud? All I could hear are the sound of women's laughter around. I'm too far away from the consort's courtyard or even the garden, and yet, their voices taunted my ears as if I was surrounded by beautiful women. Why do I hear the voices of concubines everywhere I go?

"Do you hear that, Bailing?" I asked as I surveyed the courtyard.

We are on our way back from one of the community duties I was obligated to perform. The crown prince's wives and I are all tasked with our own community services since the prince's wives are an extension of the prince himself. We needed to reach out to commoners on behalf of our husbands.

Two guardsmen followed behind me while I walked the long path from the gate to the palace. Bailing slightly behind as I meandered ahead in front of everyone. Hoon placed guardsmen to protect me in his place during his absence. He could never go out too much in public due to his numerous allergies and complications that could easily lead to infections. Even the simplest things can make my husband sick.

"I'm sorry, Jas." He murmured as he kissed my lips this morning. "You know I hate being parted with you, but I cannot accompany you outside the wall."

"It's alright, husband. You have plenty of work inside the palace as it is. I'll see you when I get back in the afternoon."

It was already late in the afternoon, and I was to meet my husband for dinner soon.

Bailing lifted her head up as she listened to the faint noise of giggling concubines floating around us. "N-no..." She murmured after a few seconds after she focused her ears on the noise that's a little too loud for my own good. "Honestly, Jasmine. I don't know how you even hear them, I could barely hear the concubines and I wouldn't have heard them if you hadn't made me pay attention."

"Doesn't that get on your nerves?" I asked, completely oblivious to her opinion.

"No, and maybe you're just paying a little too close of attention. Let them be, that's what concubines are supposed to do. They're brought here to the palace to entertain the prince and the emperor."

"Do you hear prince Julong's laughter with them?" I continued.

Bailing gave me a bemused look. "I don't think he should be any of your concern."

I gave a dismissal wave of my hand. "Non-sense, it makes me uncomfortable seeing him flirt and be surrounded by all these women."

If I wasn't mistaken, prince Julong might've been doing it on purpose as well. I know how he enjoyed it, the reaction he got from me, how angry and jealous it made me "You know what, I'm making it my business!"

My heel turned as I changed direction suddenly, the two guardsmen almost slammed to each other, confused at which way I was going.

"Wait, Jasmine!" Bailing rasped. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to the consort's courtyard and I'm telling him to stop this nonsense right now!"

"No, you can't do that! You can't tell the third prince what to do!"

"Watch me!"

"Jasmine!" She called out worried and frantic, Bailing chased my footsteps, her shorter limbs worked overtime as she tried and kept up with my long strides. "You can't go that way, you're not supposed to go that way, the consort's courtyard is not a place for a prince's wife to be seen."

"Don't tell me what to do, Bailing. I'm not going there for leisure, I'm going there to scold a prince."

Even the guardsmen panicked and rushed behind me, quickly catching up to my speed. "Princess, we have strict instructions to deliver you to the second prince this afternoon!" Murmured the one on the left.

"We're making a detour," I said hastily.

The guardsman on the right grunted as though he was about to say something, but I turned around and gave him a warning glare that made him shut his mouth instantly. Bailing mumbled something else, but I was already way ahead, and her voice got lost in the heavy and loud rustled of the guardsmen's plated armor uniform rubbing against each other.

My hastened strides quickened even faster and by the time I made it to the consort's courtyard, I was panting heavily. My eyes narrowed as I surveyed the rows of quarters aware of the eyes watching me right now.

Nosey concubines!

Rumor swirls about me and the third prince started by the older concubines who had been a resident in the palace for a while. They were the ones who saw and paid close attention to me and the third prince back two years ago, and those rumors of infidelity and secret affair only intensified by those girls who saw me at prince Julong's front door a few nights ago.

I headed over to the large pavilion where the loud chirps and flirtatious laughter of drunken women escaped. I knew the prince was there because the only time those libido swollen women come alive is when prince Julong is around.

Sin city right in the heart of the palace. The pavilion reeked with both cheap and fine liquor. Chirping concubines everywhere, some with their hanfu falling off their shoulders drunk beyond themselves.

There were women playing instruments, and there are some who are on the stage dancing and grunting songs out of tune, laughing at their own silliness. Empty bottles of alcohol scattered along the floor and I could only imagine how long they'd been at it.

My eyes landed on the prince, he sat center stage just like a fat lazy king sprawled in his throne. Prince Julong eyes swept over the crowd of women spotting me by the entrance.

It didn't take long before every concubine noticed the silent prince. Suddenly, this loud and hypnotic place fell into dangerous silence.

All eyes are on us as we stared each other down.

I stared at prince Julong with a glare so sharp it cuts through the air while he glowered back unintimidated. His eyes were so daring and so bold that it could melt even the coldest of ice.

His head cocked to the side.

"Elder sister, what a surprise." His voice dropped like a pin breaking the long-standing silence. "You know, you shouldn't be in here. The consort's courtyard is not a place for a married princess to be seen. Do you realize how displeased elder brother will be if he finds out?"

I was about to give my retort when my guardsmen arrived and distracted both of us. They stood protectively behind me, along with Bailing who huffed and puffed, trying to catch her breath.

Prince Julong lifted his eyes to my guardsmen and waved a single finger. "Wait outside." He said once in an easy casual tone, but it was enough to send two scary men scurrying on their heels to do exactly as they are commanded. His eyes rested on Bailing next. "You too, Bailing. Wait outside until I'm done with the princess."

Bailing inclined her head to a bow and stepped back, following behind the guardsmen.

"You're out of control!" I snarled all the way across the room.

Prince Julong's curled a devious smile. "Oh?" He purred. "And what ground do you have to tell a prince he's out of control?"

"Your elder brother's wife whom you call elder sister!" I said.

"Oh, so you're here to discipline a little brother?"