VIII - Hush, baby

"Why isn't Jack with you, don't you drive him?" I asked, as we rounded the corner to my house and his car came to a halt.

He grinned. "He went to stalk Lexi."

"Oh my gosh," I rolled my eyes. "Those two need to seriously date already. We all know they like each other."

"So you're not awkward with your best friend dating your brother?" He asked, killing the engine.

I turned to face him, still cuddled in his super comfy blanket. "I guess not?" He didn't seem convinced so I continued, "I mean it's a little weird, but I love them both and they're kind of perfect together don't you think?"

He chuckled, his eyes crinkling like they always did when he laughed. "Opposites attract, don't they." He murmured after his laughter died out, his smile fading and he just looked at me.

"What?" I asked, my cheeks starting to tingle.

His eyebrows came together and his eyes glided to my lips. "Aren't we opposites?" He whispered, his face closer than it was five seconds ago. We were about eight inches apart, and my cheeks were probably red.

"What are you doing?" I asked, my voice low and soft. My mind was completely jumbled at his actions, and I had no idea what to do. My heart was beating loudly in my chest and the only thing I could hear besides the drumming in my ears was our hard breathing. I was absolutely immobilized. I didn't pull away, and I didn't lean in.

His eyes flicked from my eyes to my lips as he inched closer. His hand came up to put a hair behind my ear, his finger lingering on my cheek, caressing it and sending sparks all over. My breath hitched in my throat as he was only three inches away from me, his hot breath mingling with mine.

Suddenly my phone rang loudly in the small space, and I jumped, my soul almost leaving my body.

Jack quickly jumped away from me, both of us probably realizing what had just happened.

"Aren't you going to pick that up?" He said, referring to my still ringing cell phone.

After progressing his words, I fumbled for the phone in my pocket, sliding across my phone to answer the call.

"H-hello?" I stuttered, removing the blanket from my already heated body.

"Julia, tell Jack I won't come home for another hour." It was Jack.

My wide eyes connected with the boy next to me and I nodded even though my brother on the other side of the line couldn't see me.

"Yes. Yeah. Sure." I fumbled for the door handle to get out of the fucking sauna of a car and stepped outside in the nice cold air, cooling myself instantly.

"Are you home yet? Is he there?" Jack continued, his voice distracted like he didn't even care for the answer.

I somehow took it like he was on to us, like he knew exactly what had happened between his little sister and his best friend.

"What? No. I mean yes." My voice was high. "I mean he is here. He brought me home."

"He did? You guys had fun?"

"No! I mean sure, yes we had a blast." I rushed, walking up to my house. "You?"

"I'm fine. I'll see you later." With that he hung up, and I sighed deeply.

I turned around to see Jack standing behind me with hands in his pockets, staring at me as if to wait for my reaction.

"That..." I started, running my fingers through my loosened ponytail, "Whatever that was," I continued, referring to the little incident in the car. "Can never happen again."