From The Start (Cancer Love Story)

Copyright © 2014 Molly Doyle All rights reserved.

COPYRIGHT: This story, “From the Start” including all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (I.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders) is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. All rights are reserved by the owner and creator of this work (Molly Doyle) and any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law.

Punishments include but are not limited to: A fine of up to $150,000 for each work infringed. Infringer pays for all attorney's fees and court costs. The Court can issue an injunction to stop the infringing acts. The Court can impound the illegal works. The infringer can go to jail.

~~~

                                                             - Preview -

"Alex."

I finally spoke up, ending the utter silence between the two of us. I turned my head and my eyes locked on his handsome face that I adored more than anything else in this world. Everything about this moment was romantic and beautiful, so serene, lying side by side under the dark starry sky, although I couldn't help but realize that this moment wasn't as wonderful as I was making it out to be. The truth of the matter is that everything is far from perfect. My charming boyfriend, the love of my life, happens to be staring death straight in the eyes. And the most hurtful fact is that there's nothing I can do about it.

"Yeah, Rosie?" He answered, barely any sound to his voice as he gazed up at the night sky.

"Can I ask you a question?" I nervously swallowed.

Right after I said this he let out a small deep breath, "Of course you can."

Without thinking it through I sat up, my entire body  beginning to shake with fear, and I tried to make myself gather the strength to ask him the one question I've been wanting to ask him ever since the day I found out about his illness - his life threatening illness that I wish never even existed. I didn't want to ask him this, I just couldn't hold it back from him anymore. I told him everything and anything, no matter what it was, so I took a deep breath and finally gave in.

"Are you scared?"

When those words left my mouth, Alexander turned his head and looked right at me, staring endlessly into my eyes with nothing but sincerity. Those eyes were the most gorgeous sight in the whole universe, such a light color blue that they matched the color of the magnificent ocean water in Hawaii, or the clear sky on a cloudless day. My most favorite feature of his. He remained completely quiet as he pushed himself up from the ground, his lips slightly parted, like he was simply in disbelief.

"What?" He whispered, his eyes narrowing and becoming glossy in the moonlight.

"Alex," I croaked, deeply sighing. "Are you scared?"

He inhaled a sharp breath and managed to ask, "Scared of what?" 

And just like that, without the slightest bit of hesitation. . . I said it. "Dying."

He looked terrified at this point, absolutely astounded by what I was asking him and I couldn't believe it. I've been so used to seeing him as the strong one in our relationship, the one who always found the best in everything that came our way, except for this one precious moment where he seemed like he was going to break at any given second... And it tore at my heart.

"Yes." He admitted the truth and in return I couldn't hold back the tears that flooded my eyes. It's safe to say that it wasn't the response I was hoping for. Suddenly without any warning he lifted up my chin with the tip of his finger, our eyes locked in a powerful and emotional staredown that I couldn't pull myself away from. "I am scared of dying, Rosie, but not only of death itself. I'm terrified for another reason. Do you want to know why I'm scared?" 

"Yes." I whispered, my heart pounding as a single tear fell down my cheek. "Why?"

 And ever so quietly he replied, "Because you won't be there."

***

Hey lovelies! There's the preview. I'll be uploading the first chapter soon. For those of you who haven't read From The Start yet, thank you so much for trying this out! I hope the preview has pulled you in and you can't wait to read more. Don't go read the first draft though! Don't give in to the temptation. And for those of you who have already read From The Start, you should definitely read this version! I'm going to be not only editing but also completely re-writing most parts. There will be more scenes and it won't start off so boring. It's going to probably be very different than the first draft, but definitely for the better! If you were a fan of A Walk To Remember, My Sister's Keeper (The Kate/Taylor relationship), or The Fault Of Our Stars, then I have a strong feeling you're going to love this story. :)

Thank you for the support. Votes & comments would be amazing! <3