38. Looking into your eyes

ROZIE'S POV

The elevator doors opened revealing the face I never thought I'd see again. He was wearing a loose black shirt that made his skin even paler over ripped denim jeans and black high-cut Chuck Taylors. The black cap on his head didn't conceal his eyes that were focused on the floor, seeming to be lost in thought while people pass him by.

I was about to leave the building but something was making me come back to where I was. I thought I was just imagining the voice that kept repeating my name. It had a sense of desperation to it but I didn't pay much attention thinking it could all just be in my head. But I should know better because my heart actually heard when my mind refused to listen.

Just by looking at him, I feel my heart sinking deeper and deeper into my guts.

So what now? The guy's right in front of me. Do I approach? Haven't you imagined this moment on repeat? Do I say hi? Or do I shut these doors, get off this floor, and pretend none of these ever happened?

This is one of those times when I hope this mind of mine could make the soundest decisions knowing that I would always go for the wrong choices if I just let this stupid heart decide.

As if he felt my eyes burning through him, he looked up, his eyes meeting mine. Total disbelief filled his eyes. He was mirroring exactly how I feel. I, myself was at a loss for words. Never did it cross my mind that seeing him again is a possibility. I've only seen this moment in Korean dramas that Jennie would always force me to watch. I never really thought I would actually be in it.

"Is that guy coming in or what?" The man in his mid-fifties asked in a grumpy old voice.

It seemed like I lost my tongue. I didn't even move a muscle. My brain seemed to have lost control over the rest of my body. I could hear every single beat in my chest as I stare into his eyes. I want to run into his arms and have me taken away. But my mind instantly questioned if he want the same thing as I do. After all, half a year has gone by without hearing anything from him. Maybe this was just one of those unrequited love stories I only see on tv.

"I guess not."

Door closing.

The elevator doors started to close as the man pushed the button. I didn't do anything to stop him. I was immobilized in my spot. Breathing itself was already difficult. The sight of him disappearing from my view was just painful enough I could no longer keep on looking. All I could ever do was close my eyes as the doors finally shut.

Or so I thought.

Door opening.

I opened my eyes and saw a hand caught in between the doors giving way to the person on the other side as they open up again.

That hand was his.

The people inside the lift were groaning as they see him motionless. His eyes were still locked on mine.

"Hey kid, get in already. We don't have all day."

He stepped into the lift and stood right in front of me. The scent of her perfume filled the elevator as the doors closed behind him. I feel like fainting. He was standing so close to me I could hear him heavily breathing through his mask.

What is the effin world is happening??

I sang the question over and over in my head. He was staring very intently at me it's just impossible to look away. He didn't have any make-up on. His eyes were bare exposing how chinky they really are. I was once lost in them and here I am, losing myself in them again.

The doors opened and closed behind him as people get off the lift. Both of us stayed frozen exactly on the same spots despite the movement around us. I feel so vulnerable I could break into pieces. He still had so much effect on me I could barely think straight. For so many times, I have regretted ever meeting him but equivalent to those times was when I find myself coming right back, yearning for more.

Is that what you call love then? Stupidity is more like it.

The door opened on the ground floor with no one left in the lift but us. Everything was in slow fucking motion I swear I must have gone crazy.

How long is this staring contest gonna be anyways?

In response to my thoughts was his hand tightly grasping my wrist. His hand was cold yet it sent warmth all over me. My body responded to his touch like sickness finally finding its cure. For the longest time, I felt myself breathing again.

He finally broke the gaze and pulled me out of the lift as people started to make their way in. He was somehow dragging me as my feet seemed to forget how to walk. His pace was too fast it took an effort for me to catch up. He still hasn't said a word and I couldn't see the expression on his face anymore as he lowered down his cap while we ran into a crowd of teenagers.

Where is he taking me?

To be continued...