3 Items.

I woke up again, still in the same room as if it were a cage I couldn't free myself from

I woke up again, still in the same room as if it were a cage I couldn't free myself from. Tethered back to a new IV now, it's clear liquid pumping into my veins. Rejuvenating my body with all of the nutrients that I had been in poor lack of for the past seventy years. 

My head still felt foggy like steam had condensed inside my brain, but I no longer felt like each muscle, tendon, bone, and joint in my body was being pulled apart like taffy. The formulas of salts, glucose, amino acids, lipids, and added vitamins flooding through my system apparently working well for me. 

I was alone again in the room, no Tony, no Steve, just various machines, and hospital equipment keeping me company. 

Gingerly, I got out of bed, swinging my legs over the side of the mattress, and walked over to the ceiling high row of windows, spanning an entire wall amount. With the IV pole shackled to me, following closely behind like a ball and chain, I whipped open the velvet drapes, the silver hooks gliding across the rod in one swift motion. 

Exposing the mysteries that lie in wait outside, I dropped the veil, and the secret staring back at me was the city that I knew all too well, but that now looked all too different. 

Swelling grey pollution from the various factories, plants, and laboratories hovered up into the sky like smoke from chimney flues, soiling the horizon with an inky black curtain. Not a single star could be located in the night sky, and I couldn't even spot the moon, the glow of an overpopulated island casting out any natural wonder in the atmosphere. 

The city was so compressed, jammed with far too much, and it was lit up like a jewel, but not a pretty one, least not to me. The blinding lights seemed more like the sun in my minds eye, best not to look directly at it. 

Skyscrapers, high-rise buildings, and towers stood high, spanning miles. Piling on top of each other in an obnoxiously thick, compact fashion. Each one looking like lofty giants, looming above everything, and silently mocking anything that was smaller. 

Billboards broadcasting foreign, strange things to me plagued each corner, crevasse, and nook. Leaving nothing untouched, unsullied. 

Traffic lights reflected in my tired gaze, and the noisy irritation of it all was devastating, too much. All the flashing headlights from the congested streets, the building upon building, the city practically eating itself apart... It was all so different, and so much had changed. So much outside, beneath the Avengers Tower that I was in, was going on all at once that it mentally hurt to try, and take it all in. 

I never once felt tiny in New York in the 40's, but now seventy years later I was a mere ant amongst a whole coliseum. A city that once held a million, now held eight million. 

I suddenly heard the door open, and in a preventative stance I already squeezed my hands into fists, snapping my head around to fight, but I was met with a dear friend, his blue eyes reminiscent of the past, and he walked over to me, a glass of water in his grasp.