Chapter 39

Third person pov

"Shikaku, it's best if you don't come with us for this part." The Hokage insisted as the ANBU carried Shikamaru off, his Lynx mask glinting in the dim light. Shikamaru seemed to have a permanent frown etched on his face as he was carried, his arms burning from his struggle against the rope binding him. Unlike Sasuke and Naruto who could contact each other via Sharingan and Kurama, he had no way of calling for help or of telling people where he was. 

"That's my son, Hokage-sama." Shikaku said, choked up and breathing heavily. He feared just what would happen to him in the custody of Konoha's most heartless task force. He'd been a part of ANBU, and he knew that they weren't to be taken lightly. They'd follow orders until their dying breath. He knew himself. He'd experienced the feeling of fierce loyalty. Honestly, it was still there, somewhat. But his family... He hadn't been married, then. He hadn't had a son who was his pride and joy!

"I am aware, Shikaku, and I will see that he is not harmed." The Hokage assured, looking the man in the eyes. "But he is hiding something. That much has been made abundantly clear."

"I...I know." Shikaku sighed, his shoulders slumping in defeat. Shikamaru grit his teeth. He only had one choice, now, and he hated it. But it was all he really had. He didn't have enough control to use his kekkai genkai on them, or to even do a jutsu. All he could do was become a a beacon. He had to be a signal.

Before the Hokage could respond, Shikamaru released a huge blast of chakra. One too large. Someone so young shouldn't have been able to exert so much power, but he did. He screamed as he did so, his insides burning as the chakra attacked his every nerve. He let out another blast anyway, and the ANBU dropped him. Shikamaru clutched his stomach, continuing to put out as may waves as he could. Shikaku stumbled back in surprise.

Shikamaru knew he had to. There was no choice. They had to know that the mission was jeopardized. He could feel his chakra draining rapidly, but he didn't dare stop. He'd give every last drop if it gave his comrades a chance to escape. He didn't care if this killed him. He'd gladly die for this. He'd gladly die for his Kage, and for his home.

"Shikamaru, stop!" The Third demanded in a sharp tone, but the boy only groaned, sweat pouring down his face. He let out another scream immediately after, choking as his eyes filled with tears and his lungs began to compress from the pressure. He refused to pass out. He forced air into them.

"What is he doing?!" Shikaku cried, trying to approach him. Another wave of chakra knocked him back a bit, and he stumbled again, blinking rapidly as though the sight before him were an illusion. The Hokage grimaced as the boy continued to exert his chakra, writing as he did so.

"He's sending out a signal." The Third muttered. "And I think I know who it's for."

~

"That was fun!" Rasa chirped happily as he and Gaara exited the village, their exasperated guards following them. They'd been asking and asking where he'd gone, but Rasa and Gaara both refused to share. They were in mutual agreement that this wasn't something to be shared. The danger they were facing, or their origin, no matter the circumstances.

"No, father. It was not. You acted like a bumbling idiot." Gaara was a bit upset over his father's behavior, but he was doing quite well at hiding it outwardly. It was only when he spoke that the hostility escaped him. Rasa would simply grin and laugh at his guards who would flinch away from the small boy.

"I try." He winked. "Do you think the Hokage liked my casserole? I hope he ate that because the first one caught on fire, the second was a bust and I was hungry from cooking for so long so I ate the third. So it was like, loads of work."

"Shut up." Gaara grumbled, rolling his seafoam green eyes at the man. Rasa snickered at him as though there'd been a joke, his arms swinging back and forth happily as they tromped down the dirt path towards their desert home. The guards eyed him with slight caution. He'd been rather... off lately. Extremely off. They'd honestly trust Gaara to run the village better than he could at this point, and Gaara was a Jinchuuriki who'd killed dozens with his sand. That, and he was only getting stronger. Although... He did seem rather sane these days, unlike his father...

"Hey, you two imbeciles, stop!" A man ran out from the woods, wearing dirty jeans and a suspicious looking hoodie. He honestly looked homeless, and he wasn't wearing shoes. "I need your help. I'm from the future, and you're all in danger, including me. I almost died. Do you know how hard it is to get rid of me?""

Gaara was frozen, and Rasa just stared, his eyes squinted and lips slightly parted with thought. His guards drew their weapons, but didn't attack. They needed their kage's permission to do that. That, and they didn't want Gaara to feel threatened and attack.

"Hey!" It dawned on Rasa. The rusty-haired man pointed. "You're that snake guy that killed me and wore my skin as a suit!"

"Ugh." Orochimaru groaned, massaging his temples. They didn't have time for this. "Millennials."