Fourteen: Not Goodbye, but a New Start

"My Queen

"My Queen."

"My King."

The next day, following the battle, T'Challa went and visited Kalyna in the medical wing of the lab. She had awoken, and thanks to Shuri was recovering well. Luckily for her, her suit had taken the worst beating out of the two of them. It must have been one hell of a blast to ruin her fireproof vibranium suit.

She was sitting on a cot staring out the window at the mist-covered jungle. Her gaze didn't leave the outside scene when she spoke. She shook her head. "So the king of Wakanda was killed by a Sokovian mercenary. And now the king and queen of Sokovia were killed by a Wakandan exile. This alliance only keeps getting more and more complicated." She choked back tears, or at least tried to. "For years I've been wondering about my parents' assassin, who they were. And he was right there, and I was going to rule at his side." A pause. "Where is he?" She spoke in a voice just above a whisper.

"He has been dealt with," he assured her solemnly. "And you were the one who told me that vengeance would get me nowhere, now I give that advice back to you. I think I know exactly what you're going through."

She choked back another heavy sob. "I thought I had lost you, too."

He sat down beside her and wrapped his arms around her, firmly pressing her against his chest in a warm embrace. "Never," he whispered into her hair.

"Hey! Brother, out!" The two turned to see Shuri enter the lab. "She needs rest so she can go back home."

T'Challa looked down at Kalyna. "You're leaving?"

She wiped some tears from her cheeks. "I have to. My stay here was longer than intended."

"You can blame me for that."

"I just might." She smiled. "Now you heard your sister, out. Doctor Shuri's orders."

Shuri grinned. "That's right!"

--------------------------------

The next day Kalyna was said to be in good enough circumstances for travel, and was released from the medical wing. She and T'Challa were having a farewell walk through the inner city while the jet was readied to take her back to Sokovia.

"My father was keen to engage in an alliance, but he was too proud to accept the help Wakanda offered. And he paid for it with his life, and my mother's," she said as they walked.

"I hope you know that I am not backing down from our alliance. Wakanda will always be here for you. And you will always be welcome here."

She smiled up at him and was about to respond but before she could, he leaned down and pecked her lips. When he pulled away he found her staring up at him, jaw-agape, eyes wide, and completely shocked.

He chuckled. "Can you really blame me? I almost died."

"Oh for Bast's sake will you two just kiss already?!" The two turned to see Shuri, who had come to see her friend off, had caught them during their moment.

Both laughed before Kalyna pulled him back to her and they shared in their first full kiss.

"Okay, okay I said a kiss, not make out! You want that, go somewhere else! Need I remind you we are in the middle of the city!"

They pulled away, laughing again.

He smiled down at her lovingly. "Stay, please."

Kalyna nodded. "I will. Once I sort everything out at home. Maybe you'll even think of coming to Sokovia." She patted his chest. "Don't freeze while I'm gone."

"Never."

She chuckled. "Right."

--------------------------------

Representatives of the world's countries had gathered at the United Nations building in Vienna, where King T'Challa of Wakanda was going to give a very important speech.

The king stood up at the podium, Okoye, Nakia, and Ayo at his sides. Cameras flashed, the room fell silent.

"My name is King T'Challa, son of King T'Chaka. I am the sovereign ruler of the nation of Wakanda. And for the first time in our history, we will be sharing our knowledge and resources with the outside world. Wakanda will no longer watch from the shadows. We cannot. We must not. We will work to be an example of how we as brothers and sisters on this earth should treat each other, now more than ever. The illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth. More connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one, single tribe."

Following the session he was being escorted back outside when a voice stopped them.

"Well my King, that was certainly quite the speech." The Wakandans turned to see Princess Kalyna standing there, Niyah and Felix at her sides. She smiled at him. "You should be proud."

He smiled and came over, taking her hands in his. "My Queen."

"My King."

(And that's it, you've reached the end of 'The Fire in My Heart'! I hope you enjoyed! And the story isn't over, for it continues in my 'Infinity War' story! :) If you want more T'Challa and Kalyna, Shuri, Okoye, and M'Baku (and to see them all take on Thanos! ;) Thank you so much for reading!

Also, I'm currently working on another, separate 'Black Panther' story, a M'BakuxOC with lots of Erik, so if you're interested please check it out! :) Thanks!)