Chapter 9 ll It's the sound of my spine breaking into pieces.

Zoey's POV

Evelyn magically appeared at my door at 4 and I was beyond surprised. The moment she stepped into the room, she began listing out the different dresses that she had brought to try out even though I had no clue what was going on.

"What's going on?" I cut in, interrupting her rant about how she spent half of her day looking for her favourite eyeliner. The incredulous look that she wore on her face confuses me more.

She slaps her hands onto my shoulder and shakes me excitedly, "Darling, we're going to my cousin's party!" She is clearly bubbling away with excitement, judging by her huge smile that kind of looks very eerie and her jumping around.

And all of a sudden, I realise.

Shit.

Shit.

Shitshitshitshitshit.

I have totally forgotten about the party. Hell, I didn't even remember to get a dress for it.

"Judging by your expression, I can tell that you ain't prepared for this," the smirk on Evelyn's face irritates me furthermore, it's not like I should be excited for it. Technically saying, I was forced into going. Evelyn clasps her hands together loudly and her lips stretches into a wide grin.

"Zoey, fret no more. The mighty Evelyn got you all covered. You're gonna sit down and watch all the magic happen. "

---

"Stop moving."

"Stop fidgeting."

"I said stop fidgeting!"

"Don't touch those."

"No, this isn't going to hurt."

"Stop rubbing your eyes."

"Goddamn it Zoey!"

"Don't you dare."

"One more time. And I'll shove a damn calculator down your throat."

"Finally! Done."

After two freaking hours of pure torment and lots abuse going on here and there, Evelyn had me looking pretty decent for the party. I must admit, this girl has some skills. The last time I got so dressed up was for my father's birthday before he left us. I have my hair straightened and light makeup on. I had to literally beg and plead Evelyn to not make me look like I had just coloured my eye area with permanent markers.

"Come on, Xavier's waiting outside."

---

"Evelyn." Ignored.

"Evelyn Evelyn Evelyn Evelyn." Ignored.

"Evelyn, I'm sorry but I want my feet to be happy." Ignored but was glanced at.

"Evelyn those stilettos can kill me before Usain Bolt reaches the finishing line." Ignored.

"Evelyn, look." Ignored.

"Really Evelyn, look!" Still ignored. Goddamn this woman is stubborn.

"Evelyn! Levi is here!" Ah, look who's gotten her attention.

The last time Evelyn and I had a sleepover at her house, I managed to dig out her little crush on Levi. She was blushing so badly when she confessed, I was afraid Rudolph's nose would be resentful of her. Since then, I have never failed to use this secret to my advantage. Whenever she teases, "Wittle Zoey has a wittle cwush on Chrisy", I coo, "Says wittle Evelyn with her giant cwush on Levi the hottie". She shuts up.

"Where?" her head is spinning around, trying to catch the sight of Levi the hottie.

"There." Levi, Chris and Seth steps out of a car like movie stars attending the awards show. There was even a slight gush of breeze that swept past as they brush back some of their hairs. I might or might not suspect if they actually hired someone for that wind effect.