VII: Shichi

The summons from the shogun are no surprise when they come.  Both Ryuu and I understood that we would eventually have to face him in order to return to the Amachi clan.  My stomach has begun to round with our growing child, and I can feel the first flutters of the babe moving within me.

Ryuu rests a hand against the gentle curve of my waist as we walk down the halls.  We have waited two months since Emi's departure to tell Shogun Fujioka that we would like to return to the clan.  This meeting will tell us whether or not he has decided to release Ryuu from his service.

"This is your fault if we really think about it," my husband whispers.  "You were the one that came up with the scheme that forced the shogun's hand in the first place."

I lean into him, a smile touching my lips.  "It is truly Jun's fault that we are here.  I am just your wife, Sakura, who had no hand in how the battle went or why the shogun forced you into service away from the Amachi clan."

"I love you," he says, kissing my temple, "scars, rough edges, and all.  And no matter what, I am grateful for all the decisions that led to the two of us being here.  Especially now, knowing that you will be in my arms for as long as we both draw breath and that your children will be mine."

Pausing before the doors leading to the shogun, I kiss him, feeling his hands touch my stomach right as the babe kicks.  Ryuu's eyes light up with joy, and his fingers span the place where our child was.  His other hand finds its way behind my neck, tilting my head to deepen the kiss.

"Lord Igarashi," Shogun Fujioka's voice breaks in, and at the sight of the older man, my face flares with color.  His expression is solemn as he looks at the two of us excepting the twinkle in his eye.  "Shall we take this conversation inside?"

My husband bows before saying, "Of course, shogun."

We settle within his private rooms, the same place that over two years ago Rika yet believed that she would marry me.  The shogun's face falls into deep lines of worry in the isolation of privacy, and he closes his eyes for a long moment, letting the silence linger.

"I fear what will happen in the near future," he mutters, opening his eyes to wearily survey the two of us.  "My daughter, my youngest, has been fleeing for her life for a year, along with your clan lord, and even I cannot know where they currently reside lest my knowledge leads to their deaths.  Yet I believe that, eventually, those who hunt them will catch up to the two of them especially now that Rika is expecting a child.

"Be as honest with me as you can, Lord Igarashi.  Why are these people so intent upon assassinating Lord Amachi and Rika?"

Ryuu reaches for my hand, seeming to need the comfort just as much as I do.  "Shogun Fujioka, Jun has made many enemies since he took his father's place as lord of the Amachi clan.  From the information that the shinobi has supplied, it is my belief that a traitor within the clan has found fault within Jun and seeks to eliminate him for the reason.  Your daughter happened to be caught in the mess by marrying him."

The shogun sighs, his entire body slumping in defeat.  "I feared as much.  The only way that their assassins remain mere steps behind them is if they have an inkling of how Junichi thinks and acts.  They do not have much time left as far as I understand, and I only hope that their deaths come far enough in the future that my grandchild survives to offer me a tangible reminder of my daughter."

I rise from the cushion that I am seated on and lay a light hand upon his arm.  "The war has claimed the lives of many people, both those who choose to go to battle and those who are caught in the middle of it.  I pray every day that I will see Rika and Jun once more, but much like you, my heart knows that their days upon this earth are numbered.