》the visit

I DO NOT OWN THESE CHARACTERS; THE TWILIGHT SAGA BELONGS TO STEPHENIE MEYER. THIS IS JUST MY OWN VERSION AND FAN FICTION OF THOSE CHARACTERS.

》¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤《

As I lay in my hospital room alone, the only sound coming from the stupid heart monitor beside me, I begin to day dream. I day dream of being happy, of being healthy, of having nothing more to worry about than homework and boys. But that train sailed long ago for me, the day I turned 13.

I remember it so clearly; I was so happy to finally be a teenager, to be allowed to date. My grandma raised me and she said I could have no boys in my life until I became a teenager. And so, as promised, I waited until that very day. Of course I had a few close guy friends before that, but I'd always stuck to my nana's no dating rule - after all, she was the most important person to me.

It wasn't until I woke up that morning that I realised there would never be any boys, never be anymore happiness. Because that was the day I found out I had cancer; I have leukaemia.

Cancer. I have cancer.

It's a real pain in the ass, I tell ya. Nana was heart broken... as was I. She had to give me up to foster care; as an almost 70 year old woman there was no way she could take care of me or afford my chemo and treatments. No way at all. So here we are, alone as usual.

If I'm not in the hospital for treatment I'm either in a specialist home or with a foster family. However not many foster families want a sick kid who's basically a burden.

I sigh and roll onto my side, staring at the window as the snow begins to fall down. It's rare we get snow here in Seattle, but it has been really cold and depressing lately. Pretty reflective of my mood. At 15 years of age I always imaged myself getting ready to begin driving lessons, maybe have a dress ready for homecoming and possibly even have a boyfriend. And I used to dance; man, I loved to dance. But I don't have the strength anymore, and one wrong fall could seriously hurt.

There's a gentle knock on my door and I look over. My nurse, Shelley, peaks in with a smile on her face.

"Happy birthday Adley." She says softly as she pushes the door fully open.

I blush a little when I see her and a few of the other nurses with a few balloons and a cupcake on a plastic plate. I push myself to sit up a little as they come in, setting a big card on the tray table and a small present.

"Guys... I-I don't know what to say." I whisper as I blush more. "How did you all know?"

"Don't say anything, silly. And we have your file, of course we know." Shell giggles.

I flush red again - stupid me. Of course they do! "You didn't have to do anything. It's just a birthday."

"Don't be silly honey. Fifteen may not be a special birthday to celebrate but it is special considering you're still here. Remember what your therapist said?"

I roll my eyes and pull a face. Doctor snot. Ugh. His names actually Dr Snooter but when I first heard his name it sounded like snot. And he has a really nasally voice that just winds me right up.

"I don't have to see him today, right?"

Nurse Christie shakes her head. "No honey, you have that visit with the nice doctor later, remember?"

Oh yeah. Doctor Curten or something I think. He's apparently a fancy doctor from a small town who's here for a conference, but he's going to be doing a few shifts here to see how they do things in a bigger hospital.

The nurses all give me a small hug before they have to rush to get back to work and do rounds. Shelley checks my vitals and updates my chart before she kisses my head and leaves.