Chapter 1: The Struggle

Rin's POV
I feel something on my shoulder, shaking me awake. I open my eyes to see none other then Yukio, my twin brother.

"Get up, Rin! We're gonna be late!" I hear him yell. "I didn't get up to my alarm! Get dressed and then we're heading out, no time for breakfast!"

I reply with,"I'm staying home today. I don't feel well." Though that was true, I meant it in a different way. See, I've had really bad depression since I was a kid. I got help, but after my dad died, it's back and worse then ever.

"Oh, no you don't! You've skipped too many days by pretending to be sick. Now, get dressed, or else we're gonna be late!" Yukio says.

I sigh deeply and start to get dressed. Once Yukio walks out of my room, I take off my t-short and trade it out for my school uniform. The reason I only do it once Yukio is out of the room is because I cut my self quite a lot. At night I wear a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over it so he can't see.

Once I'm done getting changed, I slowly walk down the stairs. 'No sign of Yukio...' I think to myself. 'It's better if he's not around me anyways.'

I grab my school bag and head towards the school. I knew it would've been really easy to skip, but I don't want to be a burden to Yukio. Just me existing is the worst thing that's ever happened to him  I just don't wanna be even more trouble for him.

I can still remember when I was in junior high. It was terrible. I was constantly being made fun of and beat up. I stopped fighting back because Yukio said I was worrying dad. Whenever I'd come home with cuts and bruises, I'd just make up some lie like,"I fell," or,"I tripped." Luckily for me, they never saw the cuts on my wrists. Dad would flip out!

once I get to school, I rush to my locker. I see a group of people around it, giggling. I run over and see,"Die!" Sprawled across it. I feel tears stinging my eyes, but I refuse to cry. If I cry then people might ask what's wrong. Instead I put on my fakest smile and grab what I need for class. Damn these douche bags! But... I mean... It would be better for everyone if I just died.

[Le magical time skip]

Once normal classes are over, I head towards the cram school. However, on my way there, someone grabs me by the collar. "W-what the Hell?!"

"Hey there, buddy! I missed you at lunch! Did you forget to give it to me?! The sparkling water?! Hah! Of course you did! You're a freak!" He yells in my face.

This is Charlie, an American foreign exchange student. Because he's an exchange student, the teachers can't do anything because they're afraid of losing their job. I first met him during the beginning of school, when I accidentally bumped into him in the hallway.

[Cue Le flashback]

"Ugh! O-oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! Here you go, here's you bo-" I got cut off my Charlie punching square in the nose, badly breaking it. I quickly put my hand over my nose in pain and run to the bathroom to see the damage. As I'm running I could hear him and his friends snickering behind me.

[Le flashback is now over 👌🏻]

Charlie throws me onto the ground and, without giving me the chance to catch my breath, kicks and hits me. His friends join in. They kick me until the late bell rings, and they run off.