Chapter 69 - In which the Fowler family secret is revealed

The walls erupt in flames, and for a frightful moment, I consider the possibility that I've completely misinterpreted the message. But instead of the fire burning the walls down, they disperse into smaller fire balls, dancing across the wall in a strange pattern. 

"What in Merlin's name?" George exclaims, voicing our unified reaction. 

I watch in awe, subconsciously taking a step forward, the conversation with my father replaying in a constant loop. As if the flames are alive and realise I'm moving closer to them, they suddenly recombine and join in the centre. Each one elegantly moving across the wall, leaving no burn marks, no trace of their presence. 

It's beautiful

Never have I seen this element act so delicately. Whenever I use my own powers it's usually in the aim of causing pain and destruction. Yet here it is, the same element that I can manipulate- in theory. Who knows whether I'll be able to access it in the same way again? 

But, if I am able to access it again, then the possibilities are endless!

"What do you think it is?" I whisper as they stop moving, outlining what looks like some sort of code. I move slightly to the right to give the guys a better view of it, but the code moves with me too, like it's connected to me. My eyes widen as I exhale slowly.

Turning, I glance at them both who look at stunned as me. George's got an odd look on his face making me wonder if I've finally crossed the this-is-way-too-weird line. 

"It's a bunch of weird spirals," he says slowly as he cranes over my head to get a better look. The light touch of his hand on my shoulder causes my stomach to erupt in butterflies, making it all the more strange that I couldn't access my powers.

"Maybe it's in another language?" George adds tilting his head to the side. 

"I don't think so," I reply, not entirely convinced with my answer. It seemed like it would be something I should be able to figure out. My father left me a clue when I was a sleeping five year old. He must have known or had an inclining as to what my life would turn out to be. He must have taken extra precautions. 

"Isn't it obvious?" Fred asks making us both jump. I raise my eyebrows at him glancing between him and the fire code. 

"It's one of your masterpieces," Fred says slowly as if we're the dumbest people on earth. "You know, the ghastly so called flowers?" He adds when neither George nor I react to his revelation. 

My head whips back to wall so quickly, it feels like my neck may snap. I stare at the fire intently, subconsciously tilting my head to the side.

"Are you sur- wait n-" George mutters to himself, but I'm barely aware of his ramblings. Instead, I turn to meet the eyes of his brother, a man who has surprised me yet again. Now that Fred has pointed it out, the pattern can't resemble anything else. I drew this, just like I drew the flowers downstairs. 

Fred recognised it. 

Why is that so weird for me to accept? 

So what if Fred's been more observant than his brother lately? It's not exactly a competition. But as Fred nudges me cheekily, I find myself shaking my head in awe. 

"How -?" I mouth unable to find my voice. 

"You should know by now Lily. You're part of our family. Family just knows," Fred whispers back with a smile. Not a smirk, or one of his sarcastic grins, but a smile that makes my insides ignite.

If the past few months has taught me anything it's that I am a lot stronger than I give myself credit for. And I've neglected my surrogate family once before, yet they still accepted me back with open arms... eventually. Fred's just another example of that. He was annoyed at me, but truth be told, I feel like his grudge was partly for George's sake. It took some of the burden off George who needed to heal.