》unwanted weakness

After my bath I make sure to clean my thigh carefully and ensure the bleeding has stopped before I wrap the soft, white towel around myself. I go to the bedroom and grab some black leggings and the hoodie I had on before, slipping them on carefully. I sit back on the bed for a moment, patting the braids a little with the towel to dry them slightly.

I did some thinking in the bath and I've decided that whenever I can, I am going to leave this family and let them go back to normal. Somehow I'll run away; I can't just leave, I'll get lost in the forest. I'll have to wait for the right moment. And I can't let myself get too attached to them, any of them. They don't need me here ruining their perfect family...

My thoughts are interrupted as I hear a gently knock. First Edward now who? "Yes?"

Carlisle comes in quietly and closes the door. His expression looks torn, like he's trying to think of how to word what he's about to say. "You know... me and Esme are here for you. More than just as foster parents. We want you to trust us, to be able to come to us and talk to us, Adley. And we can still have our talks, like we did every day at the hospital. Okay?"

I nod slowly as I subconsciously rub my thigh. "Thank you... is the food ready?"

He nods. "Um yes. Esme heated you some left overs up; you need to eat before your next meds anyway."

I nod and stand, giving him a small smile as I follow him to the kitchen. Everyone seems sadder, but like they're trying to hide it. When I walk in, they all disperse and leave, making me frown. Wow... don't I feel unwanted now.

Esme smiles as she takes a dish from the oven. "Do you like lasagne?"

I force a smile and sit at a bar stool. "Yes thank you - it smells delicious." I say as she plates it up.

"Thank you. Jake, Leah, Seth!" She calls and I hear heavy footsteps that definitely don't belong to a Cullen.

The tan boy from earlier and two other people come in, looking rather hungry. How is Jacob hungry after eating a family bag of chips earlier?

They each grab a plate and sit down, scarfing the food down like savages. I watch in amazement, giggling a little as I eat slowly.

Seth looks over and his mouth hangs open. "Woah... hi..."

I blush deeply. "Hello..."

Jacob smirks and shoves him. "Seth you're blushing dude!"

Leah sniggers. "Awh my baby brother has a crush!"

Seth growls and mutters under his breath as he stares at his plate. Esme chuckles as she cleans the dish and wipes the sides down. I feel Carlisle watching me but I try to ignore it as I eat what I can; I'm more engrossed in watching how the other three eat. They look rather out of place here, too tanned against the pale Cullen clan...

"How do you like the room?" Esme asks.

"It's amazing. It'll take me a lifetime to read those books." I giggle.

She smiles. "You should see the collection Carlisle has. Oh and don't get me started on Edwards CD collection!"

I giggle and eat a little more as we talk. She made me feel comfortable and loved and I feel the ease setting in again. It's like I've lost all control of my feelings here but maybe that's because I don't have snot telling me how I should feel about things, I can feel for myself now. Plus I'm on less medication so who knows.

Once I finish I get up and go to wash the plate only to have Esme take it from me. I go to protest but she smirks. "Nope, go sit down."

I scowl. "Aren't mom's supposed to make kids do chores? Shouldn't I be scrubbing the bathroom or something?"