CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

→ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN; FURY.

No matter how hard he tried, Michael could not contain the irritation that was building up inside of him as he stormed away from the convent with stomping footsteps. People moved out of Michael's way, the residents of Small Heath knew better than to get in the way of a blinder who looked as if they were ready to slash someone's throat with one of the infamous blades that they carried on their hats.

It wasn't Hannah's fault, she wasn't to know about Michael and Father Hughes gloomy past and the way that Father Hughes took away Michael's innocence at such a young age, so defenceless and unaccompanied without his mother. Seeing the two of them together unlocked childhood wounds, ones that Michael had worked so hard at keeping stitched up and away from everybody else. It was his secret, something that he didn't want to share, but something needed to be done.

Michael had an inkling that Father Hughes was only around Hannah and that was for one reason and one reason only - to torment Michael and it was working. Michael had heard a rumour that Tommy had got into some bother with someone at the church, but he never expected it to be the stomach-turning familiar face that was Father Hughes. Getting a reaction from someone that was involved with Shelby business was what most of the enemies wanted and using Hannah as bait was only going to land Michael in hot trouble, but he wasn't going to let himself sit back and watch as Hannah fell into Father Hughes calculating ways and allow her to become hurt because of his actions.

Michael entered the betting shop, not wanting to go back to the home that he shared with his mother in case he interrupted whatever she was doing and then he would have to explain his sudden change in mood when he had been so happy about his dinner date with Hannah only half an hour before, and stormed straight into his place of work, ignoring the look that Tommy gave him. He had a date with Hannah, something that he had promised her so that they could tie up all the issues that they had been having - which was Michael's fault wholly - but it was ruined now. Everything was coming back to Michael all at once and for a brief second, he felt frightened, weak and all alone. Flashbacks flooded his minds and before he knew it, a glass was launching towards the door, nearly hitting Tommy who was coming to check up on Michael.

"I think we need to talk," Tommy said firmly, nodding towards the shards of glass that were distributed around the room. "Don't you?" he finished, raising one eyebrow while speaking.

Michael's breathing was heavy as he nodded. It was going to be painful and he was going to cry but Hannah needed to be protected and if opening up to Tommy was the only way that it could happen, then Michael was willing to talk.

+++

Hannah was stood on the doorstep waiting for Michael to pull up in his glitzy car and whisk her away for the night, away from the worries and troubles of Small Heath. Somehow, she had managed to get dressed in less than fifteen minutes - not bothering to do her make-up impeccably because Michael wouldn't really care - but it was wasted effort, he wasn't turning up. Hannah's heart sank at the realisation that she had been stood up by the man who was meant to care for her and with an unhappy heart, she stepped back inside of the religious foundation and prepared herself for the compassionate looks that the nurses and Sister's would give her - not that they were wanted.

"Is he not coming?" Sophie asked who was sat near the front door, waiting for the phone to ring in case any soon-to-be mothers went into labour. "I'm sorry," she mumbled, standing up and pulling Hannah in for a hug who was confused more than anything. Michael wouldn't let her down, it wasn't him.

"He's probably been called into work or something, I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this." Hannah was doing her best to make Michael come across as a decent guy, but she was starting to doubt it a little bit. However, she kept her hopes up as she murmured a good night to Sophie who was still looking at Hannah caringly.