Chapter 17: Mysteries in Mississippi

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

•••

While the next several hours of driving seemed to be the same on the surface, I could sense a change of tone in the car. Outwardly, Della giggled, squealed, and ate more Skittles than ever, but there was a subtle yet definite change in her entire demeanor.

Occasionally, I would catch her uneasily peeking at me out of the corner of her eye, just before she would burst into a rambling monologue about something like how shampoo shouldn't smell so good without being edible because it was 'totally unfair', or wasn't it so crazy that watermelon-flavored sweets actually weren't watermelon-flavored, but our minds had been conditioned to think that they were?

I allowed this to go on for several hours, nodding or disagreeing whenever I could get a word in edgewise. But there was something somewhat unsettling about the whole thing. There was a certain amount of tension in her usually airy laugh-it wore on me like a pebble in a shoe. I wished she would jest revert back to her usual relaxed self that didn't seem to be expecting me to pounce with a million questions at a moment's notice. Granted, I had done my fair share of question-asking before the phone-call incident. But all of that was before I realized that Della Rae had dark secrets just like I did. Only... her secrets seemed to bring her a bit more pain than mine did. That, and she was so much better at hiding that pain than I was.

Looking back on the past few days of my life with her, I saw how much she had learned about in in that short period of time. She knew about my brother, my sister-in-law, my parents, my love for music... What did I actually know about Della?

Della was an intricate being. She saw things that no one else could see. She put things into words that others couldn't express for themselves. Her heart was bigger than her personality-which was saying a lot. Her obsession with all things philosophical and cheerful was unparalleled. She was hurting. Deeply, quietly hurting... all alone.

"Della," I said, when I had the chance to finally speak.

"Yes, Lovett?"

I quickly searched for a safe subject. "Can you explain the concept of blogging to me?"

She blinked. "Blogging?"

"Yeah, like, I don't really understand it. What is it? And what is it for?"

Della sat there in the driver's seat silently for a moment, as if she was unsure of how to answer

Della sat there in the driver's seat silently for a moment, as if she was unsure of how to answer. Slowly, though, a relieved smile slid back into its proper place, and she chuckled. "Well, you came to the right person, Mr. Lovett. I am a self-proclaimed blogging QUEEN."

I rolled my eyes and prepared to listen by reclining my seat a bit.

"Okay, so a blog is like an online journal or diary, but it's public so people can see it!" she began, excitedly. "It can be about anything you want. Heck, you don't even have to post any words! Some people just have strictly photography blogs. Others even have video blogs."