john shelby: sickness.

Being a stubborn and caring man who always tried to do his best for everybody around him, John Shelby always refused to go to the doctor which usually led to him becoming even more ill and moping around the house until it got passed on to one of the kids or vanished miraculously. It was infuriating but you had to admire his commitment to the job that he had. However, almost every single time, you would feel like murdering him with your bare hands as he walked around the house coughing and sneezing.

This time around, the flu had grabbed onto him during the cold wintery days and due to the hectic schedule that Tommy had handed out to most of the workers at the betting shop, John had barely got time to sit down, let alone see a doctor. There were business meetings to go to, people to see, cash to collect from people who owed the blinders and John refused to have a day off because of a little flu. He ignored your pleading as you handed him over the counter medication, begged him to stay at home or not go down to London. Every single time, he would kiss you on the cheek and mumble a good bye before heading out of the door, only to return later on in the day feeling ten times worse and waking the kids up with his continuous sneezing.

"I knew you shouldn't have gone in," you said smugly as you placed a hot cup of tea down on the coffee table besides the couch. John was stretched out on it, feeling sorry for himself as he trembled due to the coldness.

"Stop moaning and come and give me a cuddle," he whined, holding his arms out slightly. "I am fucking freezing."

Chuckling at your husband's neediness which was always at an all-time high when he was unwell, you shook your head. "I am not getting sick. If you had gone to the doctors a few days ago like I had said, then maybe you wouldn't be in this position. Now, you've got to sit and suffer."

John rolled his eyes before sitting up and grabbing onto his cup of tea that immediately warmed his hand up. Taking a sip, he sighed at the hot liquid slid down his throat. "A cuddle, that's all that I want."

"And I want a healthy husband, but it doesn't look like I'm getting one any time soon," you joked before placing your hand on John's forehead. "You are burning up, darling. Please just go and see a doctor and then have some time off work."

"I'm fine – "

"You are not fine so stop saying that you are. All last night you were coughing in your sleep and keeping me awake," you interrupted with an easy-going smile. "Stop running around like a headless chicken to please Tommy and get yourself better rapidly. Some days off means that you can spend the day with me inside of here, all nice and warm and away from Tommy and his anger."

John sighed before laying back down, flopping the back of his hand over his forehead as he looked at you with innocent eyes. "I'm sick, be nice to me and stop moaning at me. If anything, you should be sympathetic."

"I'm not going to be sympathetic until you go to a doctor."

"I will go down to the doctors tomorrow if you give me a proper kiss."

You ignored John's comment and walked into the kitchen to get started on the dishes that had accumulated since the kids had arrived home from school. You could hear John calling your name with a soft, croaky voice but you continued to ignore him, trying not to smile at his antics.

There was silence for a few moments and you thought that John had either given up on calling your name or had fallen asleep but when you felt his arms wrap around your waist and his lips press against your cheek, you moved away quickly with a giggle erupting from your body.

"I don't want to be ill, John," you said, chuckling as water splashed around the two of you and John continued to leave open-mouth kisses along your cheek. "I will give you a proper kiss once you've been to the doctors."

John smiled before turning your around, not caring about your wet hands that had bubbles stuck to them. "I'm going tomorrow, love."

"Do you promise?"

"Yes," he sighed before capturing your lips with his. "Stop pushing me away."

"I refuse to get sick so leave me alone," you said but you made no attempt to move away from his embrace, it was nice to have John close as it was becoming an infrequent thing. "Actually, I think I am sick."

"Really?" John looked concerned as he pulled away a little, checking your temperature with the palm of his hand.

"Yeah, sick of you," you said, slapping him with the tea towel that was sat on the counter.

John laughed sarcastically before pushing you against the counter. "You weren't saying that the other week and you won't be saying it when I get better."