31 | Bliss

T H I R T Y O N E

~I fell in love with a world through her eyes.~
~Atticus~

a d e l i n

I groan as the throb in my head intensifies, pain shooting up in my back.

Feeling the ache in every muscle of my body increase more and more by the second, warm liquid trickles down my cheeks.

My head might as well be stuffed with cotton, limbs unfeeling and unsteady like jelly. My mouth, sawdust.

I take in my surroundings, the bland white walls practically seep melancholy, accompanied by pale lifeless pale, everything is tinged with a chemical scent that makes one want to scrunch their nose.

My eyes widen because to my side, I find Caleb, his head bent at an uncomfortable angle near our joined hands, his body slouched forward in a chair.

Memories come back to me.

The tracks, Cameron, my car, the race, my accident and Caleb.

Fresh tears start to fall from my eyes as I try to get up but only end up groaning at the sudden pain that spikes in my spine and causes me to stop midway.

Closing my eyes, I fall back-rather painfully-against the white pillows. The stream of tears dosen't stop as I think back and regret my decision.

Why did I have to put up a brave front?

This had been precisely what Caleb had warned me of. He'd only asked for one thing. My safety. And I had still managed to fuck up horrendously.

I deserve this.

My body trembles with sobs as Aaron's face flashes before the darkness of my closed eyes.

The look on his face when he had yelled at me to get out of the warehouse, those frantic eyes-identical to mine in every way-when they had registered what was to come next.

His now disappointed face looking down at my weak and damaged form.

The images suffocate me and I find myself struggling for air. My hand, connected to a drip, flies to my throat. Eyes flashing open, I finally seem to gulp down air in deep hungry breaths.

Biting my lip, I turn to Caleb's still sleeping form, his face turned towards me but only half of it visible.

Hating myself for the half moons that surround his beautiful eyes, the permanent frown his lips seem to be pulled into. I hate myself for hurting him.

Tentatively, I weave my hand through his hair which is in desperate need of a shower. I've mever seen him this disheveled.

Had he been with me the whole time I was out? How long was I unconscious for? And had he missed the game against West Cove High because of me?

Questions pool my mind and the hamering in my skull increases, the door slides open and I feel my another wave of self loathing when Noah and Ashley enter the room, both their faces stark with fatigue.

My friends' azure eyes shine with tears while Noah seemed to barely be holding himself together. My lips wobble at the state I put my friends in.