Chapter Thirty Four

Asteria closed her eyes, slowly feeling the wave of sleep overcome her

Asteria closed her eyes, slowly feeling the wave of sleep overcome her. She'd been sat in the library for several hours and was finally reaching a point of exhaustion.

That was until the Marauders burst onto the scene.

"We've been looking everywhere for you!" James exclaimed, slamming his hands down onto the table.

"W-what?" Asteria jumped up, rubbing her eyes tiredly.
"We have the leaves. Today's the day, remember?" James pulled out one of the chairs and sat down, followed by the other boys.

"Oh, right yeah..." Asteria watched as James pulled the mandrake leaves out of his pocket.

"How long do we have to keep it in our mouths?" Peter asked.
"A month." She repeated.

"You going to join us? Fancy becoming an illegal animagi?" Sirius stood behind Asteria and rested his hands on her shoulders.
Asteria frowned, "I don't know..."

"Who wouldn't want to?" James asked.
"Anyone in their right mind." Muttered Remus under his breath.

"I guess I could give it a go..." Asteria pursed her lips.

"Then, you'll have no excuse not to kiss me." Sirius smirked, murmuring it just loud enough so that everyone sat at the table could hear it.
"Sirius!" Asteria shrieked, blushing as she turned to glare at him.

"Nobody wants to hear about that, Sirius." Remus grumbled.

"Just because all your love lives are barren doesn't mean I can't flaunt what I have." He grinned stupidly.
"You don't have me." Asteria raised an eyebrow.

Sirius' eyes widened, "That's not what I meant, you know that."
"Of course I do." Asteria grinned as he relaxed.

"You could've kept playing that, really made him think you were annoyed." Remus chuckled.
"That would just be cruel." Sirius frowned and sat down beside Asteria.

James looked around at them all, "Back to business." He reminded them.
"As always." Peter nodded in agreement.

"There's nothing else to it. You just hold the leaf in your mouth for a month. Afterwards you use the leaf as the final ingredient in the potion, drink the potion and voilà." Asteria explained nonchalantly.

James issued out the leaves, "Seen as you're officially joining us on a Snivellus prank, you're an honorary Marauder for this adventure."
"Thanks." She laughed.
"Pleasure, as always." He grinned.

"A toast?" Sirius held up his leaf and stretched his other arm out across the back of Asteria's chair.
"That's for drinks." Remus pointed out.
"Well there'll be a drink in this at some point." Sirius reminded him.

"A toast." James confirmed, holding out his own leaf.

"To what?" Peter piped up.
"What would you toast, Pete?" James turned to look at him.