ACT I, DILEMMA - Chapter 03

A flurried Dallas sat in her truck and monitored Juaristi International. Her one hour lunch break commenced and she'd been there fifteen minutes; unsure about her decisions.

Dallas knew what she wanted to do, she needed to act brisk, and took a breath. Dallas clenched her teeth and retired from the truck. Her dread dawdled behind.

Dallas received access to Journee's office. Damian stood near the door. He and Dallas observed one another. Damian smirked and revealed a Glock 19 beneath his clothes. Dallas scoffed, she tried hard to smash her dread, and knocked on the door.

The door unbolted from the inside, and Dallas was face to face with Gwen. "You." Dallas mimicked, she was revolted. "I'm convinced I have a stalker." Gwen scorned.

Dallas casted a hurried look over Gwen's shoulder. Journee wore a maroon ensemble and read documents at the desk. His attention was on Mars. "You aren't worth the time, this was unintentional." Dallas told Gwen. "You shouldn't even be within these walls." Gwen muttered. "I have business to conduct, love." Dallas noted.

"Gwen." Journee was disoriented and attentive. "You can let her in." He said.

Dallas smickered. "Gwen, huh?" Gwen rolled her orbs and released the door with malicious intentions. Dallas halted the door with her shoe. "You can't scare me, Gwen."

"Have a seat." Journee told Dallas. Gwen caressed his shoulder. He was the "man who can kill." Gwen and Dallas stared each other down, their aversions were visible, and combined both their looks could harm.

"You've returned." Journee addressed. Dallas averted her orbs to him. "Your reason better be worth the time. It's not often I allow second chances." He said.

Dallas slid an enclosed item across the desk. "I've removed two thousand dollars from the bank. I know it isn't much, but it's a start. I'd like to assist Beau with his debt."

Journee counted the cash within.

"He's endured so much and shouldn't be invol—" Dallas ceased and corrected. "He shouldn't fall further."

"You fascinate me, Miss Olson. You do." Journee stated. He slid the cash back to her. "I have no need for nickels and dimes."

"Excuse me?" Dallas was insulted. "I have a need for useful offers, better ones." Journee continued. Dallas was flustered. "...as in?"

"You."

"I'm attracted to women." Dallas said. "And so am I." Journee smiled. "I'll elaborate. You're blunt, smart, and resolute. A critical thinker. You want Beau to be issue-free no matter the circumstances."

"I do."

"I'd love to have someone with such mien in the business." Journee said. Dallas was even more flustered. "I didn't come here as an offer, Mister Juaristi."

"You'll receive seven thousand dollars a week." Journee tried to influence. Dallas fell mute, those words sounded surreal. "You do this, and Beau's arrears will dissolve." Dallas was in shock, she looked to Gwen. Gwen had no business to intervene. "He's fucking with me... what the hell earns so much?"

"I'll have to hear more." Dallas said. "You'll sell merchandise for a second business I own called Juaristi Dolls. This business functions for an elite association, Nuestro Camino. You've heard the name I'm sure." Journee stated.

"And I've never heard one favorable word."

"Your task will be a cakewalk and once there's an accord, I'll unveil more information."

"All this to erase debt? He's either clever... or I'm dumb."

"You'd like Beau to be unbounded." Journee said. "Yes." Dallas nodded. "Then make a choice!" Journee snarled.

Dallas debated hard, she was timorous. Journee watched. "You know, I never received her name." He told Gwen. "It's Dallas." Dallas mumbled.

"Dallas Olson." Journee bobbed his head. "I need an answer." His forbearance ran thin.

"...I concur." Dallas made her accord.

Journee smacked his hands. "And we have a winner!" He hollered. "You can never tell Beau the truth, it's work and that's all. He runs in here to scream, I'll beat him... or worse. You're the one I like, not him. You'll start tomorrow around noon."

"Does he think I'm a machine?"

"I'll need more time. I still have some clients to deal with." Dallas said. "You'll start next week." Journee scribbled on a note. "You'll visit this location for one o'clock. You lose the note, I won't issue a second. Your devotion will be deemed useless." Dallas understood. "You're dismissed." Journee shooed.

Dallas held the note and took her cash, this all resembled a dream to her... a real deal was contrived.

Beau reclined at his desk. "Beau." Dallas viewed him. "You have a minute?" Dallas asked. "No, but I'll listen. I'll allow ten minutes." Dallas scoffed. "I'm not some random woman."

Dallas tossed the cash into Beau's hands. He was troubled. "Dallas—" Dallas silenced him. "Your debt's no more. Journee and I had a discussion."

"You went back?!" Beau shrieked. "I wanted to lend assistance, and I did. You can use this cash."

"I'm... I'm so confused." Beau uttered. "I've been offered work, one with a much better income and I'll start next week."

"Journee's a cruel man, Dallas." Beau said. "You were tied with him too."

"He isn't the one who hired me." Dallas lied. "I ran into someone else." Beau exhaled. "Dad left Olson's Shack for us, Dall. You love mechanics. You can't leave. You think mom would like that?"

Valerie Olson, their mother, lived alone in their old house as a serene retired woman with two cats, she was still active and took exercise classes each week. Beau and Dallas checked in on occasion.

"Beau, mom doesn't care. And I'll still be a mechanic no matter where I am." Dallas said. "Your name's on the documents, not mine. You've made innumerable decisions without me. You've never asked me for feedback even once. I was a mere instrument, Beau. Your worker... never the co-owner."

Beau's heart shattered. His sister's words sank and he was blue. "It was never like that, Dall." Dallas shook her head, she didn't believe him. "You were never seen as an instrument. Your aid is valued. It has been since we took over, but..." Beau halted. "You're a woman now and I can't dictate your choices."

Dallas was sixteen when she started work at Olson's Shack, she's never been entrusted with another career. Dallas worked summers and winters until she finished school. Beau trained her as best he could for a lifetime, she was troublesome.

"You're free to do as desired. You're free to move on." Beau continued. "You can even lend a hand and visit the shack whenever."

"And I will." Dallas said. "The shack is our home." Beau smiled a little. "And it will be until I die." Dallas ended. Beau's smile became full and he hid his devastation. He didn't want Dallas to leave and knew such matters were uncontrollable. He cried when his sister retired from the room...

Dallas was unbeknownst of the trials to come with J. Juaristi and his doll business.