VIII

the moon loves the sun so much he dies every morning just to let her breathe

After Roman told Rose what was going to happen, she went to bed shaking. The memory of Roman - or Fenris - mauling that guard had been imbedded into her memory. But then she also thought about Fenris in his wolf form and how tame he was.

The next few days passed by in a blur. Rose did all she could to avoid Roman, no matter how hard it was. He was constantly searching for her, making sure she ate and drank. He didn't want a repeat of her fainting spell. Rose wanted to avoid him because of the awkwardness between them; he knew about her hesitancy to their "relationship", or whatever it is.

It's not that Rose didn't like him - in fact, she seemed to like him more and more as the days passed. She woke up early the day after he told her about the full moon, unable to sleep, only to find him making breakfast for her in the kitchen. Some of it was over cooked, but the gesture warmed her heart. She'd never been treated like this by a guy before. He surprised her with peonies, her favorite flower, but she'd never told him that. And they were out of season! She realized it must've cost him a lot of money to buy them for her.

However, each day the tension between them grew heavier. Rose could tell Roman wanted to say something, but held himself back. When they ate dinner together, it was in silence. She was starting to feel uncomfortable.

But now it was the day of the full moon, and Rose had spent the day cooped up in her room, with plenty of snacks and water bottles. She too didn't want a repeat of last week.

It was about nine p.m. when Rose heard a knock on her door. Her breath quickened and her hands shook. She admitted to herself she was scared.

She knew Roman would never hurt her, but the violent aura he emitted while hurting the guard scared her to her core. She'd never been exposed to such violence in all her lifetime. Her parents had made sure she stayed innocent for as long as possible.

"Y-Yes?" Rose called, cursing herself mentally for stuttering. The last thing she wanted was for Roman to think she was rejecting him again. She stood up and made her way to the door, opening it softly.