Nine: Sacrifices

"We all have to make sacrifices..."

Startled gasps arose following her statement from the others in the room. She couldn't really be doing this, could she?

Now suddenly, T'Challa was not so cool and calm. "Kalyna-" He tried to stop her as she moved to approach Erik.

She whirled around to face him. "I will speak for myself and my country." Then she turned away and sighed.

"You cannot do this-" He was begging her.

"I can. I have to. I asked for Wakanda's help because I need it. My country needs it. Every minute we sit here not knowing where our alliance stands my country gets closer and closer to the breaking point. If this will ensure its security, then I will do it." She suppressed a sigh. "If you wanted me gone, you should have just said so."

"Kalyna that's not what I-"

"You think I like this? No, I don't. But I need to know that I have support should I need it. We all have to make sacrifices, T'Challa, and I will not let you make them for me. I am putting my country and my people first."

"You do this, and you are sealing your fate."

"And you were prepared to seal it for me." They stared at each other for a moment before she extended her hand. "Now give me his ring."

T'Challa looked down at the matching rings in his hand, one his, the other Erik's on the chain, previously belonging to their fathers. She held out her hand expectantly. Reluctantly, he placed N'Jobu's ring in her palm.

She looked down at it for a moment before approaching Erik. "N'Jadaka. You will take part in this ritual combat, and if you win-"

"When I win."

"If you win, I will be your queen. We will rule together in alliance as was arranged. But on one condition: you want to build an empire, fine. You can start with Sokovia. Just promise me that you will continue Wakanda's assistance of my unstable country, that is all I ask."

He raised his eyebrows and flashed her a smirk. "Consider it done, Princess."

"I need your word."

"Then I give you my word - Kalyna."

"She is still 'Princess' to you," snapped Niyah.

"Good, thank you," Kalyna broke in. "You may have this back - consider it a peace offering between us." She turned to W'Kabi. "You may unbind his hands."

"My Lady," began Okoye in protest.

"Just for a moment." Eyeing her, W'Kabi did as told. Everyone was at attention as soon as Erik's hands were unbound, but all he did was smirk and let them fall to his sides.

She reached up and put the chain over his head, he bowing his head a little so she could put it around his neck. Once on, the ring dangled against his chest, the chain just long enough so that it dangled over his heart, she realized.

Just as she was placing the ring around his neck, his hand shot out and took hers, holding it against the ring, against his chest.

The Dora moved to step forward, as did Niyah and Felix, and T'Challa. The tension hovering already heavy in the room rose for just a moment. Even Kalyna looked startled.

But all he did was smirk, of course, and lift her hand up and place a kiss on her knuckles. He just ignored them and smiled down at her. "I look forward to our alliance."

"Kalyna-" T'Challa tried again.

"We're done here." She slid her hand away, now not looking at either of them.

"Kalyna, wait. You don't have to do this-"

"But I already have. You started it, I finished it. You've accepted his challenge, T'Challa. Go on, fight, and for goodness sake, win." With that, she turned to leave.

Not before she caught Erik raise his eyebrows and chuckle to T'Challa. "She's fiery."

This made her stop and turn to address him. "Trust me, you have no idea how fiery I can be."

With that she nodded to her guards. They were instantly at her sides and followed her out of the council chamber.

(Literally! ;) She is the Firebird after all! Again, sorry, puns, I couldn't help it! ;) I hope you enjoyed, thanks so much for reading! Next, Erik and T'Challa's fight!)