Chapter Three "London Beckons"

Noting the tension in the room I excused myself, opting for a walk in the garden.  Part of me considered what it would be like for Patience to be away for so many months and how that would affect the household.  The rest of me felt a pang of guilt that somehow that stress between the two of them was my fault.  Freddie would say to put that thought of my head, but it was still a possibility.  I'm not sure what I could have done to make Patience dislike me over the years, but somehow I did.

            I kept walking until I heard an odd bird calling, one I hadn't heard in years.  I followed the sound and when I was out from the trees I looked towards the house.  There was Freddie standing on the balcony of the library, "There you are, Magpie!  I thought your call would lure you home.  Now come in, we have something to discuss."  I nodded and made my way to the door.  He was smiling but it wasn't his usual smile.  A knot in my stomach started to grow with each step.

            Freddie was in the hall by the parlor, waiting for me.  "Yes?" I asked as he ushered me into the room.  Patience was standing at the window and when I entered, she turned and tried to smile.  My brother led me to a chair before moving to stand beside his wife.  He rolled on his feet after a moment and cleared his throat.

            "Yes, Margaret," Patience began, her voice different from her usual tone, "It would make me very happy if you came to London with me."

            I was shocked and I felt my mouth open slightly, I looked at Freddie and he wasn't quite smiling.  "You want me to go to London?" I stammered looking back to Patience.

            "Of course," she answered, "it's a long journey and it's always good to have pleasant company.  Then once we're settled I will have my sister introduce you around . . . "

            I didn't know what to say.  I mean I know Freddie must have changed her mind so, but months alone with Patience?  "I will be joining you, of course," Freddie said gingerly taking her elbow and leading her to the sofa beside me, "I'll stay behind and look after Isabella for awhile, enjoy some good hunting too . . . but then I will meet you all in London before the races."

            "Well?" Patience asked, "What do you say?"  She turned and looked at Freddie nervously.

            I nodded reluctantly, "That shall be very good." 

            Patience let out a small sigh as Freddie stood, "Then it's settled."

            "I will write to Faith tonight and tell her that we will be joining her," Patience said excusing herself.

            I waited until she was out of sight before turning to my brother, "But Freddie," I started and was cut off immediately.

            "Look, Margaret, you need to meet people . . . you need to find your happiness again . . . Patience and her family are well connected in Society, let her show you life in town."

            "But this wasn't her idea," I observed.

            "No, but it's the right idea," Freddie countered.  "It will be good for you two to spend some time together, and she really is magnificent in her element.  Let her show you."  I nodded, seeing how important this was to him.  He kissed the top of my head and sent me to my room.

            Over the next several weeks there was a steady stream of correspondence to and from Patience.  I could only imagine that she and her sister were making vast plans for the Season.  Every day she spent a few hours with me going over my wardrobe or my manners or what would be expected of me in the circles of good Society.  The way she said it made me question our country life, were we not part of good Society?  The more this went on the even less I was looking forward to be going.