James is Cool

I've been locked out and placed at Julie's doorstep with flowers by my own brother.

James woke me up, made me get dressed, then locked me out of the house and gave me one task. Operation apologize to Julie.

He even got the flowers.

Then, he left for work. I have no idea what he planned that I do when I've completed the mission. Sit outside?

So, I awkwardly stood outside with these purple flowers that James called a name I don't remember, wondering when my arm will finally lift to knock on the door.

Finally it did.

However, I almost hit Julie's mother because the door suddenly opened.

"Hey... Cindy."

I gave her a tight-lipped smile, hiding the flowers behind my body totally not out of embarrassment.

I mean, it might look like I'm going to ask out her daughter or some shit. I don't really think she'd like that if she knew how upset I made Julie.

The woman gave me this dubious look, furrowed her eyebrows then turned away to head for her car. "Julie's in her room."

I gave a tight-lipped smile, did this weird bow-nod thing, and watched her back out of the driveway and drive down the street.

I looked through the door she left open and stepped inside, closing the door behind me.

It was a little weird stepping into her house again, although I've been here a few more times after that day we made a fort.

Julie's door was closed and not a sound came from it.

I knocked, clutching the flowers maybe a bit too tightly. "It's me, Jules."

There was a moment of silence. "Come in."

Her voice sounded tired and raw. Not an ounce of that usual tone she had.

I turned the knob slowly and opened the door. She sat in bed with her brightly colored comforter draped over her shoulders, hair put up in a messy and lazily made bun. Her eyes were tired and droopy. If there was school today she probably wouldn't have gone.

She looked at me with a weak smile. "Flowers?"

My cheeks warmed. "Well — yeah, James —"

"I'm sorry."

"Wait what?" My eyebrows lifted as I raised the flowers slightly. "Actually, I was going to say that. I mean, that's what the flowers were..."

I trailed off as I saw the look on her face. She had this soft expression on her face. I gulped, pursing my lips.

"I don't know why I got so upset," she said, staring down at the bed sheets. "I'm sorry I overreacted."

"No — no, you don't have to apologize. I probably should have tried to avoid her better."

She shook her head. "It was probably unavoidable, it's okay."

I nodded, sighing. "Alright, um... flowers?"

"On the table."

"Okay." I placed them on the table right beside something that looked like math homework.

"Hug me?"

Julie outstretched her arms, giving me this cute little smile.

I'm not usually an awkward person, I never really was. However, at this moment, I think I forgot how to properly behave.

"Uh-mm, yeah — sure." I took a few steps forward and kneeled on the bed. Immediately, she wrapped her arms around my neck, nuzzling the space between my neck and shoulder.

I awkwardly placed my arms around her middle in response. I don't think I've ever really hugged her before. It isn't too bad, really.

It's kind of nice.

"Gen?"

"Yeah?"

"We should hug more often."

"Sure."

I felt her smile against my skin as she hugged a bit tighter. "I missed you."

I laughed. "It hasn't even been a day."

"So?"

"You're clingy."

She backed away a bit to look at me, still keeping her hands locked loosely at the back of my neck. "I think you are too."

My ears were warm and I couldn't help smiling. "If you say so."

__________

"So, you're locked out of your house?"

I nodded. "Yep."

Julie smiled big. "You know what that means?"

I raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"It means..." Julie looked up at me from her spot on my lap where she laid her head. "...That we get to spend all day together."

I sighed, realizing my brother's evil plan. He wanted this all along.

Not that I mind it really.

Julie pouted at my expression. "You don't like that?"

"No, I do. I've just realized why James locked me out."

She seemed to have the same realization and smiled. "James is cool."

"And me?"

She beamed. "You're cooler."

I've now realized how great it was to have normal Julie back.

Julie grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers in the process. "I like your hands."

I raised my eyebrows and wore an amused smile. She has a weird fascination with my hands. "Why?"

"'Cause," Julie brought the back of my hand to her cheek. "They're soft, warm... and nice to hold."

I snorted. "Aren't all hands like that?"

Julie shook her head the best she could in her position. "No, some hands are cold, rough, and totally not nice to hold."

"You're weird."

"You say that too much."

"So?"

"Say something different about me." My hand brushed against her lips by the way she held it when she waited for me to answer. "Find another word to describe me."

I bit my bottom lip in thought. "Upbeat, friendly..." I glanced at her expression, deciding not to use the next word. "Unique?"

She smiled so big it looked like it hurt. "The Genevieve Rogers, using those words to describe me. I feel so special!"

I laughed and mumbled to myself. "Surprising myself everyday..."

She then went silent for a moment and finally spoke.

"I'm tired."

"You are?" It's hard to tell from her behavior. But now that I really look at her, her eyes looked just as sleepy as they did when I first walked in.

"Mm-hm," she said, eyes already closed.

"My thighs aren't pillows."

She smiled, murmuring sleepily, "they are now."

Before I knew it, her breathing slowed and soon she was asleep.

Somewhere along the way of just looking — in a totally not creepy way — at her sleeping face, I also, fell asleep.

_____

A/N: No kissing in this chapter, not just yet.

I think a few of you were hoping for it, but nope!

Also, is anyone else bad at hugging?

Thanks for reading :)