20: Accidentally

Christmas passes in a flash and before I know it, we're getting close to the New Year. It isn't until a very late dinner that my parents decide to drop the news. "Your mother and I are going away for New Years," my dad explains. Quickly absorbing their statement, my sister and I look at each other.

"Where?" we simultaneously ask.

"The casino." I quirk an eyebrow as I glance between the two of them and my mom gives us a reassuring smile. "We're only going to be gone for two days."

"Okay..." They've never gone away for New Years before. I know my mom's always wanted to attend a casino New Years party but I figured they'd do that once my sister and I had families of our own to spend the holidays with.

"You guys are old enough to take care of yourselves." My father gives us a strong nod and I don't doubt it.

"Okay," we answer simultaneously and I can see a mischievous grin growing on my her face, which makes me want to groan. More like I'm old enough. I can already tell I'm going to have to babysit her.

Once dinner ends and my parents agree to do the cleaning up, my sister and I head upstairs. I follow her with a look of suspicion on my face. She barely notices and continues tapping away on her phone. "You better not be making plans. You're not going to go out and get into trouble- not while I'm in charge."

My sister looks at me with an annoyed look on her face. "When did they say you were in charge?" I tilt my head back in slight shock. 

"It was implied. I'm 18 and you're 16, remember?" I cross my arms over my chest and she rolls her eyes in response.

"Don't worry about me. You'll probably be spending the night with Dominic, right?" I gape at her retreating figure before shuffling into my own room.

For her information, I've been avoiding Dominic. I'm scared of the conversation that has to take place eventually. The whole 'what are we?' and 'what are we doing?' conversation. I don't know what I'd say in response to that. The clear answer is friends with benefits but I've already determined that my small, inexperienced heart cannot handle that. I know I'll eventually have to see him again but I pray that he just takes cues and hints and lets the friendship go in the direction I lead it.

I'm just anxious because he already tried to have the conversation once and I dodged it. I can't dodge it again without looking shady and making it seem like I'm using him. I already have the reputation of a user because of Eli. I get a notification from Dominic asking me if I'm doing anything tonight. He sends me another message telling me about a get together with the baseball team and that they specifically asked for me. He sends another message, telling me not to disappoint with a smiling emoji. I sigh and give in, figuring he won't bother to bring it up around a bunch of people.

I 'ask' my parents for permission to go out and they ask the basic questions before telling me to have fun. My sister, who was listening in on my conversation with them, smirks at me from her doorway and tells me to have a good time. I'm not surprised at the text message I receive from her once I get in the car with Dominic.

Maritza: Use protection.

"You look good," Dominic coos as he examines my outfit. "Trying to hook up with some baseball players tonight?"

Just you. I break out into a grin as I think of a pun. I stare at him and his eyebrows raise in curiosity. I stay silent, building suspense. "Yeah but I'll only go to second base." I can barely hold in my giggles as the words pass my lips. I fall into wheezy fits of laughter as I hunch over in my seat. Dominic offers me an unimpressed look.

"Damn, you're corny," he comments with a grin as he starts in the direction of the gathering. Once I regain myself, I fix my posture and smirk.

"But I'm your best friend so you'll deal with it." He sighs with a smile.