Howard Stark

Putting the sandwich on a plate, I grabbed the cup of coffee, just the way he likes it, and started walking to the lab.

I knew for a fact that he didn't get much sleep last night, mostly because I never went back home yesterday and he doesn't exactly know how to sleep without me, but I'm sure he stayed up, drowning himself in guilt.

Inhaling sharply, I stood in front of the lab's glass doors, spotting him in the far corner of the room sitting on his desk, with his fists clenched.

He didn't change his clothes. It was obvious since he was still in last night's suit.

I gulped when my mind started to toss doubts my way.

What if he meant it?

What if he really didn't want me?

Shaking off those thoughts, I sighed and punched in the code to the lab room.

I knew he heard the door open, but he didn't move. Not even an inch. But he did speak.

"Banner, I told you that I don't want to sleep." His voice was hoarse, and it cracked at the very end, making me wonder if he's been crying.

Ignoring his comment, I slowly trailed my way to his desk, and slid the coffee and the tuna sandwich towards him.

He stole a glance at the food slowly, and his head snapped towards me.

He closed his eyes and sighed.

"You're here." He said, and I smiled sadly at him.

"Val...I-...I'm...I-" he stuttered, and I knew he was struggling to apologise.

But I didn't need an apology.

I just needed to make sure he was alright.

Wrapping my arms around his neck, I made myself comfortable on his lap, and his hands automatically made their way to my hips.

"You have dark circles under your eyes," I raised an eyebrow, "did you not sleep?"

"You weren't here." He spoke up, and his voice was so sad, and it made me hate myself the minute I decided to give him some space, and go to my penthouse yesterday.

Trying to stand up, I failed once he grabbed me harder.

"No," He shook his head, "don't let go yet."

His eyes were shut, and I could tell he felt embarrassed at his sudden change of character.

I nodded at him, and grabbed his hands, intertwining our fingers, and pulling him on the couch next to us.

Taking off his suit jacket, I laid it down on the chair, and he set down his shoes, and made some space for me next to him on the couch.

Smiling at the broken man, I slid next to him and pulled him close to me, tangling our legs together.

"Don't ever leave me." He whispered, on the verge of falling asleep.

"Never." I smiled, peppering his face with kisses.

He shot me a sad smile, and nuzzled his face in my neck, and closing his eyes.

Running my fingers through his soft hair in a soothing manner, I smiled when he pulled me closer to his body, and I started hearing soft snores.

I studied his face while he slept next to me, but I was interrupted by the door opening.

Banner frowned once he saw me, but sighed in relief.

Pulling my index finger to my mouth, I signalled him to be quiet, and he smiled while nodding, clearly proud that I got him to sleep.

****