Chapter 34 - Confidential Information

"Why is a human passed out on the sofa?" Coach Kenet asks as she walks into the kitchen.

"He's just sleeping," I say. "And he's my brother."

"I'm aware of that," she says. "But we're about to share some extremely, confidential information. In short, he needs to go."

"It's fine," I say. "He's asleep."

"He could wake up at any second."

"He won't wake up," I say. I'm sure of it. Michael's "naps" last for hours. He's not going anywhere.

She shakes her head. "No. No leaks. There's always the possibility—" She suddenly stops talking. She turns to Onai with a raised eyebrow. "Really?"

He nods. "He won't wake up." He looks like he's recalling a bad memory. I can imagine it now. Michael falling asleep in the middle of their programming class and leaving him to do all the work.

Coach Kenet sighs. "Well fine then. Whatever. Let's just get this meeting started." She puts her hands on her hips. "The first order of business is—"

"Ahem," Carson says.

She raises an eyebrow. "What? What now?"

He points at himself then gestures towards his brothers.

She still looks confused.

"We're, um, kind of supposed to lead the meeting," Axel says.

She waves both of them off, not paying them any mind. "Like I was saying, we're gathered here today to discuss the pressing issues currently threatening to destroy our pack."

I already feel so overwhelmed. Everything is life, death, life, death with her. There isn't any in between, so I can't determine the actual severity of what she's saying. I just feel scared to death, and she could be talking about recycling for all I know.

She stomps closer to the large table we're all gathered around. "The people before you are the only ones we can trust from here on out. No exceptions."

"Except Ms. Baynes," Ethel says quietly.

Coach Kenet opens her mouth to say something against him, but then she pauses. She rubs her chin. "Yeah I guess you're right." She turns to the rest of us. "Her nephew's got a cold, so she won't be able to attend today. But other than that, this pack is full of liars and cheaters and snakes and—"

"Don't forget Nurse Janice," Aiden adds.

"Oh yeah," Coach Kenet nods. "She's dealing with the school evacuations right now. But other than that, trust no one." She points to all of us with a wary eye. "Watch your back. You never know if the person you trust is really in cahoots with the enemy. As far as we're concerned, we're in the middle of a warzone."

I stare at her wide-eyed. "What?"

She nods. "That's right."

My mouth falls open. What is she talking about? Last time I checked, we were playing Switzerland. What the hell happened over night?

"Stop it," Onai says to her. He looks at me. "Don't listen to her. We're not actually at war."

"Yet," she suddenly appears, glaring over his shoulder. "But how long will that last, Onai? I don't think you actually know, unless you've suddenly been endowed with some oracle abilities you should tell us all about. Who's to say you won't be strapping up for the front lines tomorrow?"

He raises an eyebrow. "Um, my division?"

She makes a move to grab him. He flinches back, staring at her like she's crazy. Ethel buries his face in his hands. He looks mortified, but I don't know why.