15

I am loving the feedback on this story which would explain why I am updating it faster than normal! You guys are so nice and encouraging:) thank you xox Hope you enjoy this update! Things are starting to get good if you know what I mean;)

_________________________

Nate's head is buried into his iPad and his headphones are in their usual place, wedged into his ears

Nate's head is buried into his iPad and his headphones are in their usual place, wedged into his ears. I stop about a three feet away from the little circle that they had formed around the large tree in the center of campus.

Trent smiles up at me when he sees me standing in front of him and the rest of his friends. His braces catch the sunlight as he does and I have to squint my eyes.

"Hello Trent," I politely say returning his smile. My eyes scan to Gavin who has frozen with his sandwich brought halfway to his mouth. Nate's body goes rigid when he hears my voice but his face lifts up towards the sun. "Gavin," I add my eyes narrowing with humor. Then I manage to smile at Molly. "Hey," I say to her before I add, "mind if I sit?" My voice is off, more timid than usual but I am hoping they don't notice.

They look around their little circle, eyes speaking for them. I shuffle my feet against the dirt, my lunch tray in hand, waiting to be accepted. My focus is mainly on the boy leaning against the tree. The sun makes his hair glisten and the golden rays only add to the undertone of his skin. The sun will never appear as golden as his eyes though.

'Yeahs' and 'alrights' make their way around the circle but when it comes to Nate, he looks away.

I sit beside him, far enough that there is no way our limbs can accidentally touch. I tuck my legs under my skirt, ranting in my head that if it gets mud on it I was going to go home and stay there.

They soon forget that I am even there and casual chit chat carries on with ease while I sit there looking off into space and enjoy my apple. Trent and Molly uphold most of the conversation, most of which I don't bother to join.

I didn't start paying attention to them talking until I hear my name. I turn my head back to the people sitting in a half circle and put down my apple.

"I'm sorry, I was daydreaming. What did you say?" I have the decency to look bashful while I smile at them as friendly as I can.

"Is it true that you and Daniel Greyson called it quits?" Trent divulges again. Molly beside him swats him on the shoulder and gives him a hard look with those green eyes of hers.

Nate beside me stiffens.

"I'm sorry," Molly apologizes for her friend. "These barbarians don't know how to speak appropriately to the opposite sex. We're sort of working on it."

"I speak to you all the time," Trent says a matter of factly.

"Yeah, and I'm pretty sure half the time you forget I'm a girl."