― ix. threads of sandalwood

𝓣𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝓢𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐝

"A — a maze?" Edelyn shuddered. "At least they can't put Dragons and Grindylows into a maze...Bloody hell..."

"Lynnie!" Cedric frowned and placed a hand over his Prefect's badge as if to shield it from profanity. "You know...I'm beginning to think you spend too much time with the Weasleys."

Edelyn smiled lightly. "Ron's foul mouth and the twins' charisma? I'd say I'm spending too little time with them."

"Hmm...So long as you don't start calling me Pretty Boy."

"I think you kind of like it," Edelyn teased, then squealed as Cedric quirked a brow and tickled her sides. She fell back into the grass and squirmed. "Alright — alright! I surrender!" She clutched a stitch in her ribs and stared up at Cedric, squinting at the warm rays of sun peering through the leaves. "I'll only ever call you a fat lemon." She held out her pinky finger. "I promise on the sacred land of pinkies."

Cedric chuckled and hooked his finger with hers. "When you put it that way though, I think I'd prefer Pretty Boy over Fat Lemon..." He splayed his arms out, shaping his body into a bright yellow ball and Edelyn laughed. Her apprehension, however, soon returned with a cold ripple down her spine. She plucked a blade of grass from his jumper and tugged at her sleeves.

The month of May had fallen upon them and she and Cedric were spending a rare afternoon under a beech tree by the Black Lake playing Exploding Snap ( Cho Chang was, much to Edelyn's delight, busy studying for her O.W.L. exams ). The cards now laid abandoned on the side and Cedric watched as the colour slowly drained from Edelyn's face.

"Look, Lynnie, I didn't tell you so you could worry."

"But—"

"If anything bad happens, we're supposed to send red sparks out the maze so someone can come to help us. We might get some cuts and bruises, but I'm sure nothing severe will happen. Dumbledore wouldn't allow that. So, don't — don't fuss about it, alright?"

Edelyn leaned her head back against the tree trunk and sighed. "Fine."

Cedric shot her a pointed look. "I said not to fuss, Lynnie, and you're fussing." He playfully poked her in the ribs and Edelyn tugged her lips up in a half-hearted attempt at a smile.

"Um — sorry to interrupt, but — erm — Edelyn?"

Edelyn looked up to see Neville Longbottom standing nearby, feet shuffling.

"Hiya, Neville. What's up?"

"P...p-professor Moody would like to see you."

Cedric groaned. "What did the twins make you do now, Lynnie?"