》pale faces

I notice Esme visibly cringe at the state of my face - I caught a glimpse as I passed the mirror and it's true, there's a gnarly bruise - and she comes over wrapping her arm around me. "Sit, let's talk."

I frown at the tone of her voice; it's off... and so is the way every one in the room looks at me. Even Jacobs friends are here and staring. And Seth... my Seth wouldn't lie to me, would he...?

I slowly sit between Jasper and Renesmee, looking up at Carlisle. He sits on the coffee table and takes my hand gently, his face serious.

"Adley, there's something I want to tell you, but first I need you to understand... that it's dangerous. Dangerous for you to know and dangerous for you to stay if you choose to."

I feel my heart quicken slightly, my eyes flicking to everyone in the room before settling back on Carlisle. "O-okay." I barely manage to whisper but he somehow heard me.

He takes a deep breath and looks at Esme, who is stood behind the couch rubbing my back. "Okay... Adley we want to adopt you." He says and smiles gently. "But we need to know if that's what you want. If it is, then there's something you need to know."

A new kind of feeling enters my heart - love. But it's soon replaced with fear and uncertainty as I frown, realising that isn't the 'dangerous' secret... the next thing he says is, thought.

"Adley, were - we -" he sighs.

Seth steps forward, interrupting him. "They're vampires and were werewolves; do you wanna move in?" He sounds a little sarcastic and looks angry. His hands are shaking and Jacob stands, glaring at him.

I laugh, relaxing. "Oh har har. Thanks for the heart attack..." I say but my voice trails off as I look at the Cullens. Their pale faces are sombre, serious. It can't be true, do be serious.

"It is true, Adley, and he is serious." Edward says. How did he- "I can hear your thoughts." He answers my question before I've even finished thinking it.

I feel my breath quicken. "Y-you can't be serious."

Esme is next to Carlisle before I can even blink, her hand wiping a tear from my cheek. "It is, baby. I - we - are immortal." She says softly.

I flinch away and stand, backing away from all of them. Esme looks hurt, but she doesn't come after me which makes me thankful.

"You're - you - vampires." I whisper. I look at Seth. "And you..."

He's stopped shaking and doesn't look angry. He looks sad as he walks around the other couch to hug me but I back up more; my heart breaks seeing his eyes try to hide the hurt but what about the hurt I feel? They lied to me.

"If this is some ridiculous joke or prank then it's not funny!" I whisper as tears fall. "And if you're truly serious then... then I can't." I shake my head and grab my coat and scarf before running. I slide my hat on as I run, heading god-knows-where into the trees.

I silently cry as I run away from the house, not so much running though. Two left feet here. The cold wind makes my cheeks red and sore, the tears feeling like icicles as they stream.

Vampires.

Werewolves.

I think that knock to the head was the final straw. I've gone insane.

I must've

I keep walking fast, with no idea where I'm going and no actual plan as to what happens next, as my mind races. I did never see them eat, but I was always too distracted by Seth or cancer I suppose. But surely there should have been more?