Relationships are so so so complicated

Hey y'all! Thanks so much for the feed back on the story that I'm working on! It's called Betrothed and the first chapter will be published on May 1st! I know that seems like a long time away but I want to get a lot of chapters written before I publish them. Anyway, here's the story!!
____________________________
Maya stared at the ceiling as she was laid out on her bed thinking about this whole thing with Josh. Now that things between her and Simon were getting better and they were back on track to being friends, there was only one other question that stood in the way between her and Josh. Did she really want to get back with him and risk getting hurt again? That question had been bugging her all day and she was torn between her answers. Suddenly the door opened causing Maya to break out of her trance and turn towards her obviously frustrated and very upset best friend.

"Hey." Maya said as she watched Riley throw down her stuff and slouch down on her desk chair.

"Hi." She grumbled back. Maya gave her an amused look.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked as she sat up on her bed and faced Riley.

"Lucas and I got into an argument about thanksgiving and Christmas break." Riley told her. Maya's eyes widened. She had completely forgotten that after next week it would be the month of November which meant holiday breaks would begin. She hadn't talked to her parents about it yet.

"He wants to go home to Texas?" Maya guessed. Riley nodded her head.

"And he wants me to go with him." She replied. Maya raised her eye brow.

"Oh." She said causing Riley to nod her head in agreement.

"Yeah, oh." Riley said back. "He wants to me to leave with him right when thanksgiving break starts and then leave with him again at Christmas." Riley told Maya.

"He wants you to spend both holidays with his family? Maya asked her in shock. That didn't sound like Huckleberry.

"Yep! And he got mad when I told him that I wanted to stay here in New York this year. I told him he could stay here with me but apparently that's not an option for him." Riley complained.

"So why don't you just come up with a compromise. Go to thanksgiving with him in Texas and he can stay here with you for Christmas." Maya told her like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I don't think he's speaking to me right now. He's being a jerk." Riley said as she rolled her eyes. Maya smiled at her friend.

"I'm sure you two will figure it out. You always do." Maya reassured her causing Riley to smile.

"So what about you, any plans?" Riley asked. Maya laughed.

"Riley, you know that every year I spend every holiday with you and your family." Maya told her. Riley shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know. Dad told me earlier today that Shawn was saying something about going back to Philadelphia this year. He wants to spend it with his brother and his family." Riley told her. Maya raised her eyebrows. This was news to her.

"Uncle Jack? I haven't seen him since our middle school dance. I didn't even know that him and Shawn were taking." Maya told her. Riley smiled and nodded her head.

"Apparently he has a wife and two kids now. Crazy, huh?" Riley asked her. Maya nodded her head.

"Insane." She replied. Apparently Shawn hadn't told her a lot of things.

"So what's the deal with you and Josh? After you know, the whole weekend setup thing." Riley asked.

"It wasn't a set up. My parents just didn't tell each other that they were inviting us. My mom thought it would be a nice surprise for my dad since he was missing me so much, and dad figured that mom wouldn't care since Josh was going to help him with the nursery." Maya explained. Riley nodded her head.

"That still doesn't answer my question." She said bluntly making Maya roll her eyes.

"It was fine. Dad decided that he was going to lock us in the nursery." Riley busted out laughing causing Maya to glare at her. "I guess he figured by the time him and mom got back from dinner that everything would be fine between the two of us." Maya told her. Riley straightened up and raised an eyebrow at Maya.

"Was it?" Maya gave her a loom before looking down at the ground and slightly nodding her head.

"Yeah. I mean, we decided to be friends." Riley scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Again? It seems like every time you both come to that conclusion that something happens to cause drama between you again." Riley stated in a matter of fact tone of voice. Maya bit her lip.

"I went and saw Simon today." She stated. Riley rose up in her chair with huge eyes.

"Seriously? How did that go?" She asked Maya. Maya smiled.

"It went very well. I think things between us are going to be okay. He was shocked when I told him that Josh and I weren't dating. He assumed we had been since him and I broke up." Maya told her. Riley smiled.

"Maya, That's great! The whole reason behind not dating Josh was because of not wanting to hurt Simon anymore than you already had. He was willing to start things over with you again even if you were dating Josh!" Riley exclaimed. Maya shrugged her shoulders. 

"So?" She asked confused. Riley rolled her eyes.

"So, now there's nothing stopping you from getting together with Josh." Riley told her. When Maya didn't say anything Riley sighed and sat back against her chair. "What is it now?" She asked almost frustrated with her friend. Maya was highly amused my this.

"I don't know. I don't want to get hurt again. What if I take a chance on Josh like last time and he goes out and finds someone else." Maya told her. Riley tilted her head at Maya.

"Maya, does this have something to do with your dad leaving you?" Riley asked her. "You know, Josh finding someone else after promising you someday was in a way kind of what your dad did to you mom. Are you scared that Josh might leave you again because you feel Ike this is what everyone does in your life?" Riley asked her. Maya smiled, Riley always could get to where she was even when nobody else could.

"I just don't want to feel that kind of pain again. I was invested in Josh and we hadn't even kissed yet. What if this time I invest everything that I have in him and he just walks out. I couldn't handle that, Riley." Maya sounded so broken. Riley got hop from her chair and sat down on the bed beside Maya before pulling her into a hug.

"Have you told this to Josh? I think he deserves to know why you're really holding out on him." Riley told her. Maya nodded her head.

"I know. I just wish I could sit back and take a deep breath. It seems like this whole life thing hit us all at once and I haven't been able to deal with it all before more comes crashing down on me." Maya said. Riley nodded her head.

"I know what you mean. Since when did relationships become so complicated? It's like yesterday we were just holding hands at the movies eating out of the same popcorn bucket. Now it's all about, what holiday we're going to spend with each other and how we're going to work things out by not getting hurt." Riley said as she nudged Maya with her shoulder.

"Yeah. If only we could go back to middle school where it was only me and you sitting at the bay window and the only thing we had to worry about was what we were going to have for dinner that night." Maya told her making Riley laugh. Riley held up her hand.

"Thunder?" She asked. Maya smiled and linked her hand with hers.

"Lightning.
_______________________________
Alright! Some big things are about to happen!! Stay tuned.