No Privacy

The sound of metal clanking together caused Sun to stir for the second time that day

The sound of metal clanking together caused Sun to stir for the second time that day. Her body rocked back and forth in a slow and steady pace, mimicking the jolting movements of the carriage. Huffs could be heard from the noses of whatever beast had been carrying her. She sat up, taking in the sight of her wooded enclosure. The velvet tufted seat she sat on was smooth and soft, a fabric fit for a king. The gold-trimmed windows were clad with the same cloth, masking the sunlight and view.

Slowly, she leaned toward the side door, moving the curtain ever the slightest. On the right of her marched a half dozen or so knights, glorious in steel armor. She rose and went to the left, noting even more knights walking alongside the contraption.

To the back of her was a door, Sun's best means for escape. Slowly, she pushed the door open and saw a dirt road surrounded by forests. Judging by the looks of the too tall trees and unfamiliar shrubs, Sun guessed she was nearly a day away from her little cottage. If she escaped, she'd have the chance to make it back home.

As quiet as an arrow slicing through air, Sun leaped from the moving carriage. She made it all of two steps before a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist.

"And where do you think you're going, Beautiful?" that familiar, raspy voice whispered, all too close to her ear. Sun tried wiggling out of his grip, but his arms were as strong as logs of wood.

"I have a name," Sun growled. She kicked her foot back, connecting with her captor's knee and he instantly let go. With her newfound freedom, Sun spun around to face him.

Prince Crow grinned devilishly as his right hand rubbed at his knee. "Nice kick. My men can't even catch me off guard."

"Survival instincts are the strongest, your highness."

"She kicks me and yet addresses me with honor," Prince Crow mused. He quickly regained his composure and once again dominated the space around them. The carriage quickly came to a stop and the prince's knights rushed to stand behind him, awaiting order. But he casually ignored them; his piercing eyes were focused solely on Sun. "Why are you trying to run off?"

"Because I don't belong in your castle," Sun responded, finding it hard to meet his eyes. She wasn't used to talking to anyone other than her family. "I belong in the woods."

"If I had it my way, I'd let you go and watch you run home without a single care in the world. But my opinion doesn't govern the laws of this kingdom. Not yet, at least. My father has the final say with where you belong," the prince explained. He glanced around at the surrounding woods with a sigh and started tapping his foot with growing impatience.

"The moment my father lays his eyes on you, he will declare you a royal guest and will shower you with fine art and jewels, with servants at your wake. And soon enough, you will be getting along with a repertoire of notable elites, gallantly laughing at their hideous jokes.