Chapter Six

Except for a few smiles and nods, I was eating quietly throughout the entire meal.

My father and Chen Heng Li were discussing matters regarding the military camps along the empire's borders and I don't think I can relate to that. They would ask me of my opinion but I would only give them a few words.

While trying to think of a reason to excuse myself, I noticed Chen Heng Li looking at my direction. Feeling brave, I challengingly looked back at him. But when our eyes meet, I felt my blood rush up to my face. I quickly averted my sight somewhere else and he chuckled at the expense of my embarrassment. Father seemed to be aware of what's happening as he was smiling from ear to ear.

"Forgive this Prince for staring but Miss Bai Fan reminds me of the cherry blossoms in spring, very beautiful." Chen Heng Li professed.

I nearly choked hearing his shameless confession.

Wait... Is he flirting with me?

"I thank his highness for the compliment," I replied looking abashed, "this servant is humbled."

"May I take this opportunity to invite Miss Bai Fan for a walk?" He smiled and offered his hand to me.

I glanced at father and he gave me an encouraging nod. I took Chen Heng Li's hand and stood up. He ushered me out of the dining area and walked towards the Bai Manor's pavilion.

The atmosphere was awkward and you can probably cut the tension with a knife. Chen Heng Li was in front of me as I try to match his pace. I don't even know why he invited me for a walk if he's not even going to talk to me.

My legs started to ache as we circled the garden for who knows how many times. Even Xiao Yu was complaining behind me but not loud enough for the third Prince to hear.

"Chen Heng Li!"

He stopped on his track and looked at me with interest, a smirk appearing on his lips.

"I mean, your highness, third prince..." I quickly corrected myself, biting my tongue for slipping.

"How shall I punish you?" He teasingly asked as he sauntered towards me like a cat stalking its prey and its making me nervous.

Every step he took forward, I took a step back. I don't know what he's playing at but a danger sign keeps popping up inside my head.

I didn't even see the tiny bump behind me that I almost fell. Almost.

Chen Heng Li managed to pull me back on my feet and as a result, I was smacked into his chest with his hand on my waist and the other, on my head.

"Bai Fan..." I heard him murmur my name as he ran his fingers through my hair.

For a minute, I was frozen in my spot. Somehow, his embrace felt familiar and comforting that I almost purred in bliss.

Ahh, this feels good. Too good...

Realizing my thoughts, I pushed him away. He was reluctant at first but finally let go of me.

"Umm... Thank you, your highness." I bowed my head, trying to hide the blush that appeared in my cheeks.

"Call me Chen Heng Li, I like it better that way."

"I wouldn't dare, your highne-"

"You already did." He laughed, clearly amused with me.

Not knowing what else to say, I turned back to look at Xiao Yu but everyone was gone.

Xiao Yu! You dare leave me alone!

"Your highness, this servant suddenly feel nauseous. This servant would like to excuse herself." I uttered an apology and ran off to my courtyard.

Once I got to my chambers, I plopped down on my bed and buried myself inside the blanket. My heart was beating very fast and I felt fuzzy deep inside.

Chen Heng Li's face kept appearing in my vision. I can even remember how he smelled, how hard his chest was, how warm his arms were.

Why am I reacting this way?

I screamed in frustration.

"Miss, what happened to you? Are you feeling sick?" I heard a voice ask.

Ahh, I even forgot I told Ming Shu to stay in my room.

I uncovered my face and saw a worried Ming Shu standing beside my bed.

Ahh, female lead, I'm feeling guilty.

"Miss, you look sick. Should I call the General?"

Ahh, my heart feels restless.

"Miss?" Ming Shu waved her hands in front of me, trying to get my attention.

Ahh, why is this so complicated?

Just then, Xiao Yu came inside my chambers in panic. When she saw me, she sighed in relief.

"Miss, where have you been?" Xiao Yu cried.

I sat up and scowled at Xiao Yu. She was the one who abandoned me and now, she's asking me where I've been?

"Both of you, listen, I'm going to rest so don't let anyone in. No one is to disturb me," I said, "Now, go and leave me alone."

"But Miss, the third prin-"

"Xiao Yu, stop mentioning the third prince..."

"Miss, I'm not yet done copying the Analects of Confucius."

"Ming Shu, just take the book with you..."

Ming Shu nodded, took the book and dragged Xiao Yu away. When the door shut close, I held my hand on my chest. My heartbeat seemed to have returned to normal already but my emotions is still swirling along with my thoughts.

Ahh, Chen Heng Li...

Why am I reacting this way towards you? And to think that this is the only second time we've met.

We've never interacted before, as well. So why do I feel comfortable being in your arms?

Is this my own feelings or is it an anomaly from the plot itself? I am so confused.

Not long after, I drifted to sleep and dreamt about Chen Heng Li picking cherry blossoms.