95. IRL

It was 18 hours into the road trip. Cece was driving with Claire keeping her company in the front. The rest of the girls were asleep in the back seats.

"I can't believe you're getting married!" Claire whispered. "It seems like you guys only started dating yesterday."

"I know, time flies," Cece commented, staring at the road. Claire waited a second before becoming frustrated.

"What's up?" Claire asked, noticing the dip that appeared in her best friend's forehead when she was upset or nervous.

"If I tell you something, swear you won't judge me."

"When have I ever judged you?" Claire asked.

"Ok, well... I haven't exactly told my parents yet. About the engagement, or wedding."

"What?" Claire asked loudly before remembering where she was and quieting her voice. "Why?"

"Just... haven't gotten around to it."

"Bullshit," Claire dismissed. "What about your dad? Don't you have to ask him to walk you down the aisle or something?"

"I know. But if I tell him, I have to tell her."

"You can't not have your mum at your wedding Cece. I know you guys don't really get along, but this is the biggest thing in your life. You know she'd want to be a part of it."

"If she stopped drinking long enough to even understand."

Claire sighed and they both stared at the traffic, breathing in unison.

"Look, I know you're right, I do. And I know that she's my mum, and I know that it would crush her if she found out from someone else."

"But...?" Claire pushed.

"But she makes every single thing all about her! Remember my 16th birthday party when she drank so much that she started hitting on our friends? Our 16 year old friends!"

"Oh yeah," Claire grimaced, trying to forget the embarrassing old memory. "But still, if you don't at least give her the option to come, you'll regret it."

Cece sighed. "You're right. I'll call her when we get to Vegas."

"Good," Claire said with a smile. "If you're lucky, she'll get so drunk that she'll get the date and venue wrong anyway!" They both laughed.

***

The girls walked into the Monte Carlo casino/hotel.

"We're going to the slots!" Kat said, grabbing Nina and running off in the direction of flashing lights.

"Do you play Poker?" Candice asked Becky.

"I am the queen of Poker," Becky said with a grin.

"Shall we?" Candice asked, holding out her arm. Becky linked arms with her and together they went.

"Come with me to find a bathroom?" Claire asked Cece.

"Sure," Cece said. As they walked towards the bathroom Cece's phone began to ring. 'Mum' flashed on the display.

"I'll wait out here," Cece said, waving her phone at Claire, who took the hint and went into the bathroom alone.